Skip to main content
US Flag An official website of the United States government

Connect with the Peace Corps

If you're ready for something bigger, we have a place where you belong.

Follow us

Apply to the Peace Corps

The application process begins by selecting a service model and finding an open position.

Peace Corps Volunteer
2 years, 3 months
Log in/check status
Peace Corps Response
Up to 12 months
Log in/check status
Virtual Service Pilot
3-6 months
Log in/check status

Let us help you find the right position.

If you are flexible in where you serve for the two-year Peace Corps Volunteer program, our experts can match you with a position and country based on your experience and preferences.

Serve where you’re needed most

Volunteer Service-related Health Conditions and FECA

Federal Employees' Compensation Act (FECA) provides compensation for individuals who are injured or develop health conditions while on duty with the federal government.

Volunteers’ service-related conditions covered by FECA

FECA is administered by the U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs.  Returned Peace Corps Volunteers are eligible to apply for FECA benefits for service-related conditions. The Peace Corps’ Post-Service Unit within the Office of Health Services can explain more about what to expect, the information needed for a claim, and help guide you through the filing process.

Before you start a claim: Please contact the Post-Service Unit at [email protected] or 202.692.1540.

Filing a claim

If your healthcare provider determines you need ongoing treatment, you have the right to file a FECA claim to receive two types of benefits if your claim is properly filed and accepted:

  1. FECA pays medical bills resulting from the injury or illness;
  2. FECA provides a source of income when you are unable to work due to the injury or illness.

FECA claims must be filed within three years of the date of injury or illness, or when the injured Volunteer becomes aware of a possible relationship between the medical condition and their Peace Corps service. Please contact [email protected] for additional information.

The Peace Corps Post-Service Unit will assign a case manager to serve as your liaison for the Department of Labor, Claims Examiner. This Peace Corps case manager can advocate on your behalf but ultimately, FECA claim decisions are made solely by the U.S. Department of Labor.

Adjudication time frames vary depending on the complexity of the case and the medical evidence received with the claim.

Department of Labor Resources

  • FAQ about FECA
  • Checklist [PDF] for what evidence is required to support a claim based on the U.S. Department of Labor's, Office of Workers' Compensation Program
  • Overview of How to File a Claim Form
  • To file a claim online, use the Department of Labor's ECOMP portal.

Get more information about post-service health support services.

Before you start a FECA claim, please contact the Post-Service Unit at [email protected] or 202.692.1540.