RPCV Short-term Health Insurance
- It is provided by International Medical Group, a private company.
- It covers health conditions Volunteers acquire during the period of enrollment/coverage.
- It covers Volunteers both internationally and in the U.S.
- It can cover returned Volunteers as well as spouses and dependents.
- It is not considered Minimum Essential Coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
- It does not cover evaluation or treatment of service-related conditions.
Period of enrollment
Volunteers are automatically enrolled and covered for two months following your close of service (COS), paid for by the Peace Corps. Returned Volunteers may enroll for an additional month at their expense, and can deduct the cost of this from their readjustment allowance. To extend coverage beyond the first two months, you must enroll prior to SHIFTT coverage expiring.
Post-service health insurance options
As they transition off of RPCV Short-term Health Insurance, returning Volunteers can access other health insurance options in a variety of ways. Check out Insurance through the Affordable Care Act to learn more.