Volunteer Service-Related Health Conditions & FECA

Video: Medical emergencies and health claims

Peace Corps Volunteers’ service-related conditions are covered by FECA.

FECA is administered by the U.S. Department of Labor Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs. FECA is not a Peace Corps program, but our Post-Service Unit can explain more about what to expect, the information needed for a claim, and help guide you through the filing process.

Before you start a claim: Please contact the Post-Service Unit at [email protected] or 202.692.1540.

Filing a claim

If your health-care provider determines you need on-going treatment, you have the right to file a FECA claim to receive two types of benefits if your claim is properly filed and accepted:

  1. FECA pays medical bills resulting from the injury or illness;
  2. FECA provides a source of income when you are unable to work due to the injury or illness.

FECA claims must be filed within three years of the date of injury or illness, or when the injured Volunteer becomes aware of a possible relationship between the medical condition and their Peace Corps service. Please contact [email protected] for additional information.

The Peace Corps Post-Service Unit will assign a nurse to serve as your liaison for the Department of Labor, Claims Examiner. This Peace Corps nurse can advocate on your behalf but ultimately, FECA claim decisions are made solely by the Department of Labor.

Adjudication time frames vary depending on the complexity of the case and the medical evidence received with the claim. 

FECA: ECOMP Website: Filing a Claim
The Department of Labor's ECOMP Portal to File a FECA Claim


You may find these resources located on the U.S. Department of Labor’s website helpful:

  • FAQ about FECA 
  • Checklist [PDF] for what evidence is required to support a claim based on the U.S. Department of Labor's, Office of Workers' Compensation Program
  • Overview of How to File a Claim Form
  • To file a claim online, use the Department of Labor's ECOMP portal.  

Get more information about post-service health support services.  

Before you start a FECA claim, please contact the Post-Service Unit at [email protected] or 202.692.1540.