Certifications of Service
Process for requesting a certification
If you are a returned Peace Corps Volunteer, submit your request for documents via the RPCV Portal.
- Review the types of documents available below and note your needed document in your request.
- Social Security numbers are not included in certifications as a rule. If you need all or part of your Social Security number included on your certification, indicate that in your request.
- If your name now is different than your name during service, please include your full name during service in your request.
- Requests take 7–10 business days to process.
- Indicate the name and address, email address, or fax number where your certification of service documents should be sent.
Types of certification documents
Certification of Noncompetitive Eligibility
If you do not currently have a copy of your description of service and you need to verify your noncompetitive eligibility status for a federal employer, you can request a certification of noncompetitive eligibility.
Certification for Partial Perkins Loan Cancellation
You may be eligible for partial Perkins loan cancellation if you have a non-consolidated Perkins loan. Contact your lender to see if and how you may qualify for this benefit.
Certification of Peace Corps Health Care Coverage
This certification provides proof of your Peace Corps health-care coverage during service. It can be used to reinstate Medicare Part B.
Certification of Service for Employment Purposes
This is an official verification of your Volunteer service, including dates and country of service, for a potential employer. This certification does not contain your monthly readjustment allowance amount.
Certification of Service for Federal Retirement
Employees who are covered under the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) or the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) may be eligible to receive credit for their Peace Corps Volunteer service to put toward their retirement.
Learn more on the Federal Retirement page.
Certification of Teaching
If your primary assignment during service was as a teacher and you served for 18 months or more, many states will allow you to count this time toward your professional teaching experience.
Description of Service
This document contains a written description of the Volunteer’s service, indicates NCE eligibility, Coverdell Fellows participation eligibility, and teacher certificate eligibility. It is signed by the Country Director, and a copy is given to the returned Volunteer upon completion of service.
Questions about requesting a certification? Contact us.