Projects in Jamaica
The Primary Literacy Project has been created to bolster the government of Jamaica's efforts to meet its vision of having all students at the primary level of the education system literate. The three goals of the project are:
- To assist primary schools students, especially those who are performing below grade level, to develop an interest in literacy; improve academic performance and strengthen life skills.
- To assist primary schools teachers to increase their use of effective practices in classroom management; instructional planning and preparation; lesson delivery and assessment practices to facilitate student learning and provide continued advancement in literacy.
- To increase engagement of parents in activities that support and promote literacy of their primary school aged children.
The Environment or "Green Initiative" project seeks to enhance the ability of Jamaicans to engage in sustainable natural resource management.
Volunteers in the Green Initiative project work with Community Based Organizations, Government & Non-Government Organizations, Farmer’s Groups and Schools. Along with their project partners, Volunteers engage, educate and train community members in sound environmental and agricultural practices.
The goals of the Green Initiative Project are :
- To increase the knowledge and implementation of sound environmental practices by students.
- To improve community-level natural resource planning and management
- To enhance the organizational capacity of environmental/ agricultural organizations to achieve common objectives