Skip to main content
US Flag An official website of the United States government

Connect with the Peace Corps

If you're ready for something bigger, we have a place where you belong.

Follow us

Apply to the Peace Corps

The application process begins by selecting a service model and finding an open position.

Peace Corps Volunteer
2 years, 3 months
Log in/check status
Peace Corps Response
Up to 12 months
Log in/check status
Virtual Service Pilot
3-6 months
Log in/check status

Let us help you find the right position.

If you are flexible in where you serve for the two-year Peace Corps Volunteer program, our experts can match you with a position and country based on your experience and preferences.

Serve where you’re needed most


I want to serve with my spouse/partner. How do we apply?

Couples of all sexual orientations and gender identities are accepted in Peace Corps service programs. Placement options and application time may differ from individual applicants. In order to place a couple, the Peace Corps identifies which communities have project needs that necessitate two Volunteers with the skills that match those of the applicants. As such, there is a smaller supply of viable work sites for couples, as it is more difficult to find assignments, and placement generally takes longer for couples than for individuals. Additionally, due to local laws, some countries may not be able to safely accommodate same-sex couples.

  • Peace Corps Volunteer: Couples should search for openings in the same country that match both of their skill sets and that accept couples. Couples need to submit individual applications and, in the application, indicate that they are applying to serve with their spouse/ partner. Couples must submit their applications at the same time.
  • Peace Corps Response: Couples can serve together, but must apply to individual job postings separately. Notify your Recruitment and Placement Specialist if you have interest in serving as a couple. You will receive their contact information upon application.

Contact a recruiter for more information.

Can I serve with my unmarried partner?

Yes. The Peace Corps accepts unmarried couples of all sexual orientations and gender identities in committed domestic partnerships. We have observed that couples who have been in a committed relationship for a year or more before they begin service are better able to adapt to the challenges of the Peace Corps than couples who have been together less than a year. Unmarried couples seeking to serve as a couple must attest to their committed domestic partner relationship as part of their applications.


To my knowledge, my partner and I:

  1. are each other’s domestic partner and intend to remain committed to one another indefinitely,
  2. share responsibility for a significant measure of each other’s common welfare and financial obligations,
  3. are not married to, joined in civil union with, or domestic partners with anyone else,
  4. are not related in a way that would prohibit legal marriage in the state in which we reside,
  5. agree to notify the Peace Corps of any dissolution of the domestic partnership not later than 15 days after the date of dissolution of the domestic partnership,
  6. understand that falsification of information within this declaration may constitute a criminal violation under 18 U.S.C. 1001 and may lead to disciplinary action, and
    1. have a common residence, and intend to continue the arrangement or
    2. would have a common residence, but are prevented from having one.

For those that identify as LGBTQIA, please see the LGBTQIA FAQs for further information.

If someone in my or my spouse/partner’s immediate family has a medical emergency or passes away will I be able to take leave?

Emergency leave may be authorized if a member of your immediate family (a parent, spouse, sibling, child, or grandchild related to you by blood, marriage/civil union/domestic partnership, or adoption) has a terminal illness or dies while you are in service. A country director may authorize a Volunteer partner/spouse to accompany the Volunteer whose family member is affected.

Where can LGBTQI+ couples serve?

The Peace Corps works to foster safe and productive assignments for same-sex couples. Same-sex couples are not placed in countries where LGBTQI+ people are legally prosecuted for expressing their gender/sexual identities. When applying, please consult the Couples Information section of the job description or speak with a recruiter for more information. See the LGBTQIA FAQs for further information on how your sexual orientation or gender identity may impact your service.