Business Advising Volunteer
Community Economic Development
Volunteers work with development banks, nongovernmental organizations, and municipalities to encourage economic opportunities in communities. They frequently teach in classroom settings and work with entrepreneurs and business owners to develop and market their products.
Some Volunteers also teach basic computer skills and help communities take advantage of technologies that connect them to the global marketplace.
Volunteers work within many different areas, even within the same sector. Qualifications vary by country and program. At minimum, all Peace Corps assignments require expressed interest in the project sector and one or more of the following criteria:
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science degree in any field
- 5 years' professional work experience in any field
Some assignments have more specialized requirements. A degree or professional work experience related to the project sector may qualify you for additional assignments.
In addition to the Required Skills listed above, many other skills can also help to qualify you for a Volunteer program:
- Professional work experience in a field related to the project sector
- Volunteer experience in a field related to the project sector
- For more information about the required and desired skills for a specific sector, please connect with a recruiter to learn more
If there is a language requirement in Spanish, French, or any Romance Language for the position that you are applying for, then candidates must meet one or more of the language requirements below in order to be considered for this position.
- Completed 4 years of high school Spanish/French coursework within the past 8 years
- Completed minimum 2 semesters of Spanish/French college‐level coursework within the past 6 years
- Native/fluent speaker of Spanish/French
Candidates who do not meet the language proficiency levels above can take the language placement exams to demonstrate their level of proficiency. Competitive applicants typically attain a score of 50 on the Spanish College Level Examination Program CLEP exam or a score of Novice‐High on the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL OPI). Other language exams, including no-fee exams that can be found online, may be accepted on a case-by-case basis. Please include any relevant language skills in your Peace Corps application.
Does this sound like the position for you?
Get started on your journey.