Co-Develop Branding Manual and Digital Marketing Strategies
Partner: Tamra for Social Development Organization (TSD) (Local NGO)
Tamra for Social Development Organization (TSD) is a local nongovernmental organization in Ethiopia established in 1998 that works in three major thematic areas: Youth Empowerment, Health and Gender Transformation, and Environmental Protection. TSD is a youth-oriented, youth-led, and youth-integrated organization with the goal of enhancing and empowering youth's lives through work in development and evidence-based advocacy.
To overcome funding challenges and resource scarcity, TSD needs to be more accessible and reach the largest audiences possible using different outreach methods. As the current philanthropy trend is to go digital, TSD believes the best place to be visible is through digital platforms. TSD seeks to understand how to best utilize existing digital marketing tools to raise awareness and promote the organization to different donors and audiences. TSD wants to increase opportunities by establishing a branding strategy to get the most out of digital marketing.
To achieve this goal, TSD seeks the support of a Virtual Service Pilot Participant (VSPP) in enhancing TSD’s capacity in digital marketing techniques and to develop a branding manual that will govern TSD’s organizational identity.
TSD has not previously worked with a VSPP. TSD understands that the role of a VSPP is very different than a two- year Volunteer.
Virtual service engagement and tasks
The VSPP will engage in the following tasks, in collaboration with their Host Country Partners:
• Co-plan and implement qualitative needs assessment tool to understand TSD’s current trend in digital marketing and branding practices
• Co-design and develop digital marketing strategy
• Co-design and develop TSD’s branding manual
• Co-design TSD’s website for better performance and accessibility
• Co-plan and deliver a digital marketing and branding guideline training for TSD's communication and partnership team
This engagement is expected to be approximately 22 weeks. VSPPs are expected to engage on the tasks listed above for an estimated 5-15 hours per week.
Meetings between VSPPs and Host Country Counterparts will take place during normal office hours, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. East Africa Time. Specific times will be determined during orientation.
The Host Country Counterpart will have access to Zoom, email, Microsoft teams and WhatsApp as appropriate for regular communication and collaboration.
Per the Child Protection Code of Conduct, when engaging online with minors (0-18), two adults must be present.
Optional additional activities
The Peace Corps mission is to promote world peace and friendship by fulfilling three goals:
- To help the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women.
- To help promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served.
- To help promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans.
Goal 1 will be achieved through the VSPP's engagement and completion of the above tasks. The counterpart and VSPP may also choose to identify an activity that aligns with Goal 2. Additionally, the VSPP may identify a Goal 3 activity to implement during their engagement. See recommendations and tools for Goal 3 activities.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in any field or Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, or related field.
• Experience in digital marketing techniques (e.g., social media marketing, website development, email marketing and content development, and marketing)
• Experience developing public affairs, branding campaigns, social media, or content development
Intercultural skills and motivation: Flexible, strong cross-cultural agility, high tolerance for ambiguity, able to work independently, resourceful, creative, and genuinely motivated and capable to serve virtually
• Master’s degree in communications, marketing, or related field or
• Certificates in content marketing, email marketing, social media marketing, digital marketing for nonprofits and charities or related skills
Technical Skills: Familiarity with virtual engagement and communication
• Experience in virtual training delivery
• 3 years of experience developing public affairs, branding campaigns, social media, or content development
Terms and conditions of engagement
VSPPs will be engaging with the host country partner, in coordination with Peace Corps post staff, remotely from the US. They should have access to a computer, internet, and telephone in order to enable direct engagement with the Peace Corps overseas office and the Host Country Counterpart assigned by the host country partner.
Orientation with the host country partner will be provided, within the designated virtual service hours, during the first week of virtual service via an online presentation and discussion. The host country partner will provide an overview of its organization, the local context, and how they envision collaborating with the VSPP.
The VSPP will have regular check-ins with their counterpart and bi-weekly check-ins with Peace Corps staff. Spending unstructured time with counterparts can be critical to relationship-building and is encouraged through activities such as coffee chats and informal calls within the weekly 5-15 hours.
Engagement-specific safety and security
The VSPP will receive an orientation on Peace Corps’ Child Protection Policy and how it relates to online engagement along with IT security best practices. The VSPP will be expected to follow safety and security guidelines for online engagement to ensure their safety and that of the Host Country Partner and their counterpart, and any beneficiaries of the engagement.
The VSPP will report to a designated Peace Corps staff member. The VSPP will be expected to abide by the Virtual Service Pilot Participant and Donation Agreement and Participant Principles of Engagement. The VSPP will also be expected to check in with the designated host country counterpart as assigned by the host county partner.
Does this sound like the virtual engagement for you?
Get started on your journey.