Department of Community Development and Applied Economics at University of Vermont
Why you should consider this program
Coverdell Fellows are eligible to receive six tuition-free credits toward their degree through the Peace Corps Analysis course, in which they prepare a paper reflecting on their Peace Corps service and the UVM studies. Application fees will be waived. Coverdell applicants will also be considered for additional financial aid, including partial tuition scholarships, on an individual basis.
In addition, out-of-state applicants to our professional Master of Public Administration program (MPA) automatically receive a 33% tuition reduction. Reflecting the Peace Corps "Bring the Lessons Home" focus, Coverdell Fellows will commit to undertake 150 hours of community service over the course of their studies with local organizations of their choice.
The Community Development and Applied Economics (CDAE) department also houses UVM's on-campus Peace Corps Recruiter. This assistantship is available to applicants every other year and provides full two-year funding for a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer to pursue their MS or MPA degree. Please click here for more information.
Benefits for Coverdell Fellows
|Tuition/fees for Complete Program||Value of Coverdell Fellowship||Net cost *|
|In state||$ 27,254||$ 3,876||$ 23,378|
|Out of state||$ 42,508||$ 6,420||$ 36,088|
Where the cost savings value of the Coverdell Fellowship comes from
Fellowships awarded per year (average)
2 to 3, but no limit on number of Fellowships that can be offered.
Other benefits or opportunities
Annual cost of living (estimated)
Application fee waived?Yes
As part of the program, Paul D. Coverdell Fellows undertake a minimum of 150 hours of community service in underserved communities here in the US. As part of this service experience, Fellows gain experience with, and ties to, a local organization, leveraging an opportunity to apply their Peace Corps skills to a broad range of development issues. The CDAE department is part of a well-developed network of local organizations, and possible service-learning opportunities run the gamut of student interest.
Jobs for program alumni
- Analyst, Goodworks Ventures
- Project Analyst, SSG Advisors
- Program Manager, Keurig Green Mountain, Inc.
- Owner/Consultant, Small Systems Consulting
- Founder, Al Freshco
- Project Manager, ICF International
- Energy Analyst, NH Office of Energy and Planning
- Research Specialist, Center for Rural Studies, UVM
- Program Specialist & Undergraduate Advisor, UVM
- Associate Professor, UVM
- Outreach Coordinator, Middlebury College Office of Sustainability Integration
- Assistant Professor, Colby College
- PhD Candidate, Penn State University
- Government Administration, U.S. Senator Brian Schatz, D-HI
- Community Involvement Coordinator, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Town Manager, Village of Johnson, VT
- Community Tobacco Specialist, VT Department of Health
- Social Media Strategist, Speaker, Researcher, Consultant, UVM Medical Center
- Development Coordinator, Planned Parenthood
- Coordinator of Farm to School Program, VT Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets
- Director of Policy & Administration, VT Housing Finance Agency
- Director of Administration, Town of Shelburne
- Director of Student Financial Services, UVM
- Commissioner, VT Department of Taxes
- Economic Development Specialist, VT Department of Economic Development
- CEO, United Way of Northwest Vermont
- Founder & Executive Director, CarShare Vermont
- Watershed Coordinator/Director, Lamoille County Natural Resources Conservation District
- Data Analyst, Philadelphia Department of Health
- Agricultural Development Coordinator, VT Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets
- Regional Director, Amigos de las Americas
- Marketing Director & Food Safety Coordinator, Northeast Organic Farming Association
- Policy & Outreach Staffer, Office of US Senator Bernie Sanders
- Director of Public Policy, Ducks Unlimited, Inc.
- Hunger Council Organizer, Hunger Free Vermont
- Executive Director, Vermont Community Garden Network
- Senior Research Associate, Center on an Aging Society
- Director of Business Development & Marketing, Visiting Nurses Associatio
- Lecturer and PhD Candidate, UVM
2 years for full-time; part-time students must complete degree within 5 years.
Current and Returned Peace Corps Volunteers must specify their Peace Corps service in their resume. Please make sure to submit a resume with your application.
Late August for Fall; mid-January for Spring; late May for Summer
- Option to pursue degree part time while receiving the Coverdell Fellowship
Our MPA is a professional degree program and is designed for working professionals. Core courses are offered in the late afternoons and evenings. Thesis is not required for this program.
Year Coverdell Fellows partnership started