School of Information at University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
Why you should consider this program
UMSI and the U.S. Peace Corps have partnered to help people use information—with technology—to build a better world. As societies grapple with the challenges and opportunities of the digital age, our students play a crucial role in leading the charge in helping connect information, technology, and people both domestically and globally. Through our partnerships with the Peace Corps, students are able to apply specific skills and knowledge to forward information-related development efforts around the world.
At UMSI, we recruit students who have demonstrated potential to be leaders and agents of change in a field with significant need in the global economy, specifically in the developing world. We seek students with leadership potential who have a team-oriented approach to problem solving, who are capable of dealing with ambiguity and change, and who have a strong commitment to global service.
These values align closely with Peace Corps volunteer principles and the organization’s mission of working at grassroots levels in order to enact sustainable change and address the most pressing needs of people around the world.
Benefits for Coverdell Fellows
|Tuition/fees for Complete Program||Value of Coverdell Fellowship||Net cost *|
|In state||$ 43,589||$ 21,795||$ 21,794|
|Out of state||$ 87,349||$ 43,675||$ 43,674|
Where the cost savings value of the Coverdell Fellowship comes from
Returned Peace Corps volunteers (RPCVs) who are selected as a Coverdell Fellow will receive a 50% to 100% tuition scholarship to The University of Michigan School of Information.
Fellowships awarded per year (average)
Annual cost of living (estimated)
Application fee waived?Yes
Coverdell Fellows are required to complete a professional internship as part of the MSI program.
- Jeffrey Bennett (Dominican Republic, 2012-2014) interned as a Open Educational Resources Operations Assistant with the Open.Michigan initiative housed in the University of Michigan’s Medical School Information Services. As an intern, Jeff created a new workflow for publishing eBooks using the EPUB format and worked with faculty to manage publishing projects with the purpose of extending outreach beyond the U-M campus and making information publicly accessible. (Video)
- Sarah Anderson (Albania, 2010-2012) was an HMIS Data Analyst with the Washtenaw County Office of Community and Economic Development, where she analyzed the homelessness data collected by OCED to develop a system for verifying chronic homelessness and creating a more informed process for assigning available rooms in housing provisions. (Video)
Jobs for program alumni
- Entrepreneurship Librarian, Michigan State University
- UX Designer - Amazon Lab126
- ICT4D Program Manager, Peace Corps, Washington, DC
- Records and Information Management Analyst The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
- Growth Lead, Premise Data
- Technology Strategy Consultant, Accenture
- Digital Technology Librarian, Kettering University,
- UX Content Strategy Designer - Facebook
- Digital Marketing Associate, Dish Network
- Data Mining Control Officer Citi Group
- Business Intelligence Administrator, Plante Moran,
- Business Information Analyst, TCG
- Senior Communications Coordinator, INEE - Inter-Agency Network for Education in Emergencies
- Digital Librarian, WorldReader
Four Terms or Two Years
Completion of an international degree that is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree from a college or university recognized and approved by the higher education authority in the country where the degree is earned
- A grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is preferred. We do periodically admit applicants with UG GPAs less than 3.0, based on the strength of their overall application.
- Application: To apply to the Master of Science in Information program, please use our online application
Prospective students should indicate in their MSI application their status as an RPCV. They will then be considered for the Coverdell Fellowship following their admission to the program. Applicants may be asked to take part in an interview for consideration.
Late - August
Year Coverdell Fellows partnership started