Rutgers University - Rutgers University
Why you should consider this program
At Rutgers University, you will be taught by faculty who are world renowned experts in their fields. By choosing a university that has long been a pioneer in its commitment to diversity, you will interact with classmates who come from around the world. Our school ensures rigorous academic standards, fosters interdisciplinary collaboration between graduate faculty and students, and oversees innovative professional development initiatives that prepare graduate students to succeed in diverse career pathways.
Benefits for Coverdell Fellows
|Tuition/fees for Complete Program||Value of Coverdell Fellowship||Net cost *|
|In state||$ 39,448||$ 19,724||$ 19,724|
|Out of state||$ 64,264||$ 32,132||$ 32,132|
Where the cost savings value of the Coverdell Fellowship comes from
Coverdell Fellows will receive a 50% tuition discount (or remission) and will have their application fee waived.
Fellowships awarded per year (average)
Up to 5 awards will be offered per year.
Other benefits or opportunities
New Brunswick is situated between New York City and Philadelphia opening up an array of personal and professional development opportunities unique to our destination. The urban landscape of New Jersey further offers students an opportunity to better understand the modern ecological, environmental, and agrarian challenges of the 21st century. Our faculty specialize in the environment, climate, marine and costal systems, agriculture, nutrition, food systems and design.
Annual cost of living (estimated)
Application fee waived?Yes
The OIP staff collaborate with the Rutgers Cooperative Extension to place Coverdell Fellows in appropriate internships. There are multiple opportunities available throughout the state of New Jersey that will both advance Fellows’ professional aspirations and address the needs of underserved communities. Internship placement will depend on pairing of academic interest and community development goals. Internships may be location bound and will not be strictly regionalized to the New Brunswick, NJ area.
Jobs for program alumni
- Department of Environmental Protection
- President of the Ecological Society of America
- President of the Earth Policy Institute
- USDA Regional Laboratory
- Central Park Conservancy
- US Agency for International Development
- Farmers Against Hunger
- New Jersey Climate Adaptation Alliance
- Director of Watershed Protection Programs, New Jersey Water Supply Authority
- National Geographic Explorer
- Technology Manager for the US Department of Energy
- NYC Parks Department
- Executive Director of US Botanic Garden
- Northeast New Jersey Water Policy Advisory Committee
- New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
- NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies
- Director of Conservation at the Audubon Society of Rhode Island
- New Jersey Board of Medical Examiners
- National Healthcare Task Force
- President and co-founder, Blue Ocean Institute
- Chief of the FDA Food Animal Branch
- President and CEO of the Princeton Area Community Foundation
- Head of the National Bio-resource Bank of Beijing Genomics Institute (BGI) in China
In addition to the completed application, each program requires official transcripts, three letters of recommendation and a personal statement. Please check with individual programs for GRE and/or portfolio requirements.
Tuesday after labor day for Fall semester. Tuesday after Martin Luther King Jr. Day for Spring semester.
The majority of courses (90%) are offered in the evening. Some programs may permit elective courses from outside of the academic department accounting for non-evening classes. Each academic unit offers either a Plan A (master’s thesis) only option or both Plan A and Plan B (non-thesis research) options. Please see individual departments for more specific information. Non-thesis options still require the completion of scholarly research per accordance with program advisor.
Year Coverdell Fellows partnership started