Gallatin School of Individualized Study at New York University
Why you should consider this program
Gallatin students design an interdisciplinary concentration that draws on courses in the departments and programs in the various NYU schools and colleges. Many of our students have an interest in creating programs addressing issues of globalization, human rights; world cultures, legal and gender issues, area studies,social entrepreneurship, international economic development, global media and communication,public health and public administration, education, environmental studies, social change, community development, and the arts. We provide access to all of the resources of NYU along with deep and committed faculty guidance.
While Gallatin is a flexible program, certain required courses ensure that our students are well prepared to pursue a self-designed study. A masters thesis is the final requirement and may be in the form of an extended research paper, an artistic work, or a professional project. NYU offers a 50% scholarship, yearlong cohort-based leadership development workshops, personalized career support, and access to the premier global university to Returned Peace Corps Volunteers accepted into the NYU Peace Corps Coverdell Fellowship. NYU is the largest partner university to the Coverdell Fellowship with seven graduate programs currently participating, a number we expect to increase in future years.
Benefits for Coverdell Fellows
|Tuition/fees for Complete Program||Value of Coverdell Fellowship||Net cost *|
|In state||$ 72,800||$ 30,294||$ 42,506|
|Out of state||$ 72,800||$ 30,294||$ 42,506|
Where the cost savings value of the Coverdell Fellowship comes from
Fellowships awarded per year (average)
Annual cost of living (estimated)
Application fee waived?Yes
Jobs for program alumni
NYU welcomed its inaugural class of Coverdell fellows in fall 2016 and is committed to supporting its growing cohort of students both on campus and in their careers. Given the diversity of the academic interests of our students, our graduates go on to varied careers. These include:
- Director of Waging Nonviolence, a nonprofit news organization
- Co-founder Zenzele Circle, an angel investment network linking sub-Sahara African start-ups with seed and growth capital and strategic relationships
- Co-Founder of Startup Box South Bronx (SB2), a co-working space that incubates promising technology startups and offers STEM programming to youth in the South Bronx
- Creator of theater programs for social improvement in Haiti, Myanmar, and Afghanistan, including creating all-female theater groups in Afghanistan
- Special adviser to the United Nations, Sao Tome and Principe Mission
- Director of Echoing Green's Work on Purpose program
- Lead structural engineer at YCF Group S.A, an architecture construction and consultation firm based in Port au Prince, Haiti
- President and CEO of the SISGI group, a consulting and
research organization dedicated to addressing global issues through sustainable
impacts and strategic initiatives.
College transcripts, two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose.
Check the Coverdell Fellows box on the application to request an application fee waiver.
Gallatin offers an independent study option for up to 12 credits.
Year Coverdell Fellows partnership started