Duke University - Sanford School of Public Policy
Why you should consider this program
Our two-year professional Master of Public Policy (MPP) prepares students for leadership roles in various levels of government, non-profit organizations and corporations in domestic and international locations. To maximize the personal attention each student receives, we target an enrolling class of 65-80students per year. We are committed to providing merit-based scholarships, and most of our students receive fellowships ranging from partial to full tuition.
The MPP program requires full-time enrollment, and students typically possess 2-6 years of post-undergraduate work experience prior to enrollment. Dual-degrees with Duke or UNC schools are available in law (JD) and business (MBA), as well as with Duke's school of environment (MEM) and medical school (MD).
Benefits for Coverdell Fellows
|Tuition/fees for Complete Program||Value of Coverdell Fellowship||Net cost *|
|In state||$ 99,546||$ 28,000||$ 71,546|
|Out of state||$ 99,546||$ 28,000||$ 71,546|
Where the cost savings value of the Coverdell Fellowship comes from
Tuition Scholarship + 10-hour per week assistantship/community service internship
Fellowships awarded per year (average)
Other benefits or opportunities
$28,000 is the minimum guaranteed fellowship package 2-year MPP students will receive. This amount is often much higher based on merit and may range up to full-tuition.
Annual cost of living (estimated)
Application fee waived?No
Below is a sample of Durham community service
organizations that provide opportunities to Peace Corps Coverdell Fellows.
Please use this list as a starting point to find organizations that match with
your experience and interests. At the start of the Fall Semester, arrange to
meet with Career Services to find a community service placement that is
meaningful to you.
- Clean Energy Durham
- Durham Habitat for Humanity Durham Literacy Center Durham Public Schools Durham Rescue Mission
- El Centro Hispano
- Ellerbe Creek Watershed Association
- Emily Krzyzewski Family Life Center
- Eno River Association
- Girls Rock
- NC Housing for New Hope
- John Avery Boys and Girls Club
- Ronald McDonald House SEEDS
- Southern Coalition for Social Justice Stop Hunger
- World Relief
Jobs for program alumni
- Deloitte Consulting
- Government Accountability Office
- US State Department
- Booz Allen Hamilton Consulting
- NC Office of State Budget and Mgt
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Pew Charitable Trusts
- Various state and local government offices
2 years full-time
College transcripts, GRE scores, 3 Letters of Recommendation, Personal Statement, Video Essay (Strongly Recommended), Resume, Peace Corp Description of Service (DOS)
- Check the box indicating "Coverdell Fellow" on the application
- Indicate your Peace Corps service dates, country, and description of service on your resume.
- Upload a copy of your Description of Service (DOS) within the online application.
- If you have not yet received the DOS, you should submit it no later than 14 business days after it is available.
We do not offer application fee waivers for Paul D. Coverdell Fellows applicants but do offer guaranteed tuition fellowships for accepted Peace Corps alumni.