Sustainable Hunting Program Management Specialist

Before You Apply

Peace Corps Response positions are open to returned Volunteers or U.S. citizens with significant professional and technical experience.

Project Description

A Peace Corps Response Volunteer (PCRV) with a Bachelor’s degree in biology or ecology, an advanced level of Spanish, and three years of experience managing hunting protocols in national parks and protected areas is requested to serve as a Sustainable Hunting Program Management Specialist with the Hunting Reserve Coto de Caza “El Angolo” (CCEA) in Piura, Peru. CCEA is a Natural Protected Area (ANP), with an area of 65000 hectares, with the objective to conserve equatorial dry forest areas through sustainable development of natural resources such as the white-tailed deer (Odocoileus Virginianus). CCEA currently only takes advantage of 15% of its territory for hunting, and it is necessary to obtain more information about the remaining 85%, with the possibility of increasing hunting areas. In 2019 CCEA assessed the potential of taking advantage of the presence of the white-tailed deer in the western sector of the Protected Area, and CCEA is requesting the support of a Peace Corps Response Volunteer (PCRV) to provide technical knowledge and experience to stablish a pilot hunting program that can be sustainably implemented.

The Peace Corps Response Volunteer will work with the team at CCEA to establish a management plan for the fauna of the new hunting areas within the CCEA. The PCRV will also assist with a technical analysis to establish a yearly hunting quota with indicators to evaluate the pilot plan, establishing costs and tariffs for services related to hunting, develop and implement an awareness plan to communicate positive aspects related to sport and commercial hunting, and training the community working with hunting in the context of local community development. The overall goal of the assignment is to help CCEA to sustainably implement a hunting program with a community focus that will provide local families with work as hunting guides that will be a stable source of income.

Partner Information

Hunting reserve Coto de Caza “El Angolo” (CCEA)

Required Skills

• Bachelor’s degree in Ecology or Biology
• Minimum of three years of experience managing hunting protocols in national parks and protected areas
• Advanced written and spoken Spanish

The Peace Corps embraces and leverages the diversity of its volunteers as a reflection of America's diversity. Peace Corps Response is committed to reflecting the diversity of the United States in the professionals we send into the field to support the mission of world peace and friendship. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.

Medical Considerations

Before you apply, please review Medical Information for Applicants to learn about the clearance process and other health conditions that are difficult to accommodate in Peace Corps service.


Does this sound like the position for you?
Get started on your journey.

Apply Now

Related Openings

View All

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

What Happens Next?

View PCR FAQs
You can check your application status at any time by logging into your account and clicking on “Job Submission Status,” then checking the “HR Status” column.
Learn more
No. There are separate application processes and applicant portals for the two-year program and Peace Corps Response.
Learn more
If you don't see an opening now that matches your skills, you should continue to monitor open positions, as new opportunities are posted daily.
Learn more