Senior Disaster Risk Reduction Specialist
Peace Corps Response positions are open to returned Volunteers or U.S. citizens with significant professional and technical experience.
A PCRV, with a master’s degree in Environmental Studies, Anthropology, Disaster Management, or other relevant field, five years of experience in assessment and report writing, and three years of international development experience in either national level or community-based disaster rehabilitation coordination and planning or disaster risk reduction and management is needed to work with the Director of UWI-DRRC to develop a DRR Findings Report. The Director of the DRRC will apportion the sectors between the Senior Disaster Risk Reduction Specialist PCRV, an Associate Disaster Risk Reduction Specialist PCRV, and students who may be assigned to work on the team so there is coverage of government, civil society and the private sector. The overall goal of this assignment is to examine the current risks, the historical responses to disasters, and the tangible and intangible assets that have been and can be applied to address the challenges framed by disaster risk reduction approaches in Jamaica.
• Three years of international development experience in either national level or community-based disaster rehabilitation coordination and planning or disaster risk reduction and management
• Five years of experience in assessment and report writing
• Five years training experience
• Working knowledge of appreciative inquiry and qualitative research methodologies,
• Ability to live and work under challenging emotional and physical conditions
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated flexibility in cross-cultural environment
• Ability to engage at all levels – community to policy
The Peace Corps embraces and leverages the diversity of its volunteers as a reflection of America's diversity. Peace Corps Response is committed to reflecting the diversity of the United States in the professionals we send into the field to support the mission of world peace and friendship. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Before you apply, please review Medical Information for Applicants to learn about the clearance process and other health conditions that are difficult to accommodate in Peace Corps service.
Does this sound like the position for you?
Get started on your journey.