Forest Management Specialist
Peace Corps Response positions are open to returned Volunteers or U.S. citizens with significant professional and technical experience.
Don't meet these requirements? View our Peace Corps Volunteer openings
The Forest Management Specialist will train and advise Cooperative staff and partners in charge of the project in techniques and strategies to take advantage of trees in the best way, and thus obtain better income for the organization to continue and expand the social projects of the organization and local communities. The goal of this assignment is for the PCRV to train partners, including designing an operational manual, and creating a record for wood extraction and processing.
Please note that departure dates and other details of this project could change because of the uncertainties as Peace Corps and local partners resume volunteer operations. Candidates selected for this position will be arriving in Panama together as a group, so while the departure dates for the whole group could change, dates cannot be changed for individual candidates.
• Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) from a college or university in Forestry or Forestry Engineering or 2 years working in a forest company / association
• Advanced / fluent in spoken and written Spanish
• 2 years of experience carrying out and training of farmers and monitoring and evaluation of forest restoration and agroforestry practices
• 2 years of experience in environmental development training, activities and materials
• Proficient in Microsoft Office
• Organizational skills and the ability to work alone and with little supervision
• Physical ability to work outdoors in the rain, humidity and extreme heat
The Peace Corps embraces and leverages the diversity of its volunteers as a reflection of America's diversity. Peace Corps Response is committed to reflecting the diversity of the United States in the professionals we send into the field to support the mission of world peace and friendship. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Before you apply, please review Medical Information for Applicants to learn about the clearance process and other health conditions that are difficult to accommodate in Peace Corps service.
Does this sound like the position for you?
Get started on your journey.