Deaf Education Specialist - High School
Peace Corps Response positions are open to returned Volunteers or U.S. citizens with significant professional and technical experience.
Two Deaf Education Specialists, with at least a degree in Deaf education and 3 years’ experience in a Deaf education, are needed to focus on building local capacity of teachers and students at the School for the Deaf - to improve the English Literacy of Deaf children. The PCRVs will train teachers a particular reading and writing program geared to address Deaf and hard of hearing students’ to read and write English Language confidently via the use of Swazi Sign Language as the primary modality of instruction. The volunteers will also write a guideline that could be used as a procedure to teach these students reading and writing English via the use of Swazi Sign Language, develop lesson plans that will be video recorded to keep in the library for revision and future learning, and liaise with the Special Education Unit in the Ministry of Education and the National Curriculum Centre on program development procedures in Eswatini. The goal of this assignment is to strengthen the school’s capacity to meet the needs of its Deaf students, as well as build the skills of the school’s teachers.
Please note these are approximate departure dates and might change.
• At least 3- 5 years’ experience of working and teaching in a bilingual environment in a Deaf setting
• Must be able to assess, report and plan for individualized needs of Deaf learners
• Demonstrated professional background and experience in facilitating and training for a bilingual visual modality environment.
• Knowledge of Deaf culture, American Sign Language and demonstrated ability to teach in a Sign Language environment.
• PCRV will be required and expected to learn Swazi Sign Language
The Peace Corps embraces and leverages the diversity of its volunteers as a reflection of America's diversity. Peace Corps Response is committed to reflecting the diversity of the United States in the professionals we send into the field to support the mission of world peace and friendship. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Before you apply, please review Medical Information for Applicants to learn about the clearance process and other health conditions that are difficult to accommodate in Peace Corps service.
Does this sound like the position for you?
Get started on your journey.