STEAM Education Support Specialist
The Ministry of Education, Culture, Science and Technology (MoECST) in Belize has requested the support of Peace Corps Response Volunteers (PCRVs) to serve as STEAM Education Support Specialist in various District Education Centres (DEC) and substations. While STEAM components exist across some schools in Belize, a formal widespread STEAM framework is still emerging within Belize. Select secondary schools offer more concentrated science, tech, and mathematics courses, including introductory computer programming, design technology, agriculture science, and business tech programs. Recognizing STEAM’s necessity for spurring development and innovation, Belizean education leaders have outlined proposals to transform curriculum and teaching capacity around STEAM literacy for international competitiveness.
The PCRVs will collaborate with MoE officials, school leaders and teachers in developing engaging, project-based lessons and facilitate experiential learning activities using STEAM approaches particularly for the upper elementary grades. The PCRV will co-facilitate school-based activities, guide learning in communities of practice via teacher training, and support teachers through innovative STEAM pedagogies within a low-resource context.
Candidates selected for this position will be arriving in Belize together as a group, so while the departure dates for the whole group could change, dates cannot be changed for individual candidates.
Ministry of Education, Culture, Science and Technology (MoECST)
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant STEAM domain areas (science, math, technology, design, arts/media arts)
• Three years of experience working in a school setting with students at the elementary school level.
• Teaching license (active or inactive) OR professional experience as a professor of education or teacher educator
• Experience in leading practices in inquiry-based, hands-on, interdisciplinary STEAM education
• Intercultural competence
• Emotional intelligence and maturity
• Experience providing professional development training to teachers
• High tolerance for ambiguity and high level of flexibility – some details of this project could change as the MoE continue to shape STEAM programs in Belize.
The Peace Corps embraces and leverages the diversity of its volunteers as a reflection of America's diversity. Peace Corps Response is committed to reflecting the diversity of the United States in the professionals we send into the field to support the mission of world peace and friendship. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Serving in Belize
Learn more about the Volunteer experience in Belize: Get detailed information on culture, communications, housing, health, and safety -- including health and crime statistics -- in order to make a well-informed decision about serving.
Before you apply, please review Medical Information for Applicants to learn about the medical clearance process.
Does this sound like the position for you?
Get started on your journey.