Special Education Teacher Trainer
The Special Education Department of the Ministry of Education & Human Resource Planning Vocational Training & National Excellence in Dominica, Eastern Caribbean has requested the support of Peace Corps Response Volunteers (PCRVs) to serve as Special Education Teacher Trainers. The Department has identified a challenge with meeting the diverse needs of the schools, teachers, and students with special education needs. The Department hopes to engage teachers in a staff development program, with the assistance of trained personnel, which could subsequently be extended to other schools.
The Department has two officers responsible for training teachers in Special Education. The support of the Peace Corps Response Volunteers (PCRVs) has been requested to engage these two officers, in addition to teachers, in training on classroom instruction and strategies, behavior management, and curriculum development/modification. Each PCRV will be part of a working team that includes a dedicated specialist and officer from the Special Education Unit, and two teachers from different schools in each district. The overall goal of this assignment is to support the Department in developing a plan to create training in special education to increase its capacity in this area.
Please note that departure dates and other details of this project could change because of the uncertainties as Peace Corps and local partners resume volunteer operations. Candidates selected for this position will be arriving in the Eastern Caribbean together as a group, so while the departure dates for the whole group could change, dates cannot be changed for individual candidates.
Special Education Department, Ministry of Education & Human Resource Planning Vocational Training & National Excellence
• High level of flexibility – some details of this project could change because of uncertainties as Peace Corps and local partners resume volunteer operations
• Master’s degree in special education
• At least 2 years’ teaching experience
• 2 years of professional administrative or consultative experience in the field of special education
• Training in ICT integration in education
• Knowledge of inclusive education practices.
• Knowledge of the principles and methods used in teaching students with special educational needs.
• 3 years designing and facilitating training workshops for adult learners
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Experience in developing a comprehensive program.
• Experience in maintaining records and preparing reports.
The Peace Corps embraces and leverages the diversity of its volunteers as a reflection of America's diversity. Peace Corps Response is committed to reflecting the diversity of the United States in the professionals we send into the field to support the mission of world peace and friendship. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Serving in Eastern Caribbean
Learn more about the Volunteer experience in Eastern Caribbean: Get detailed information on culture, communications, housing, and safety — including crime statistics [PDF] — in order to make a well-informed decision about serving.
Before you apply, please review Medical Information for Applicants to learn about the medical clearance process.
Does this sound like the position for you?
Get started on your journey.