Special Education Teacher
Peace Corps Response positions are open to returned Volunteers or U.S. citizens with significant professional and technical experience.
Don't meet these requirements? View our Peace Corps Volunteer openings.
The PCRV will be working with the staff of FITIMA to build their capacity to offer the children some daily services in care and education. In addition to working on individual student reports and individual education plans, the PCRV will also develop written resources on special education, including activity plans and reports. The overall goal is to help FITIMA to provide care for children with disabilities through appropriate education, while participating in skills transfer with the other staff.
Please note that departure dates and other details of this project could change because of the uncertainties as Peace Corps and local partners resume volunteer operations. Candidates selected for this position will be arriving in Guinea together as a group, so while the departure dates for the whole group could change, dates cannot be changed for individual candidates.
• Bachelor’s degree in Special Education, or other related education field
• Proficiency in French- candidates with very strong technical skills will be considered with only basic French proficiency
• Certification in special education, elementary (primary) education, secondary education, or related education certification
• At least 3 years’ successful special education teaching experience
• At least 3 years’ experience conducting assessments
• Knowledge of safety procedures to be used when students display challenging physical behaviors
• Experience creating and facilitating training sessions for adults
Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
The Peace Corps embraces and leverages the diversity of its volunteers as a reflection of America's diversity. Peace Corps Response is committed to reflecting the diversity of the United States in the professionals we send into the field to support the mission of world peace and friendship. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Before you apply, please review Medical Information for Applicants to learn about the clearance process and other health conditions that are difficult to accommodate in Peace Corps service.
Does this sound like the position for you?
Get started on your journey.