Small-Scale Fishing and Marine Biodiversity Specialist
The Technological Institute of Production - CITE Pesquero in Peru has requested the support of a Peace Corps Response Volunteer (PCRV) to serve as a Small-Scale Fishing and Marine Biodiversity Specialist. CITE Pesquero is a government institution that provides training services, technical assistance, and promotes research and innovative management of fishing companies. Its primary objective is to develop a program focused on the promotion of technological and innovative skills for the fishing and aquaculture production chain for the Piura region with an emphasis on sustainability, productivity, and environmental diversification.
The PCRVs will conduct a baseline analysis, in coordination with the specialists of CITE Pesquero and its partners, on issues of sustainable fishing and the strengthening of small fishing businesses. The analysis will be used to propose lines of action and improvements on the initiatives proposed by CITE Pesquero. Additionally the PCRVs will work to transfer knowledge to the CITE Pesquero specialists on assisted fishing production management for diversifying the Fishing and Aquaculture chain; provide training on proposal and partnership development; create and deliver training modules, and design improvement plans for environmental management.
Please note that departure dates and other details of this project could change because of the uncertainties as Peace Corps and local partners resume volunteer operations. Candidates selected for this position will be arriving in Peru together as a group, so while the departure dates for the whole group could change, dates cannot be changed for individual candidates.
Technological Institute of Production - Piura Fishing CITE
• High tolerance for ambiguity and high level of flexibility – some details of this project could change because of the uncertainties as Peace Corps and local partners resume volunteer operations
• Degree in Fisheries Engineering, Biology, Environmental Engineering, or related field
• 3 years of experience in at least one of the following fields: sustainable fisheries management, management of mariculture or aquaculture operations, or application of technologies and techniques for waste management and effluent treatment in the fishing industry
• Spanish language at an advanced level (written / spoken) to coordinate with and train professionals from CITE Pesquero Piura and business representatives
• 2 years’ experience in training adults, development of informative materials, workshops, presentations and guides for training
• 2 years’ experience in developing and executing scientific research for the academic or commercial sector
The Peace Corps embraces and leverages the diversity of its volunteers as a reflection of America's diversity. Peace Corps Response is committed to reflecting the diversity of the United States in the professionals we send into the field to support the mission of world peace and friendship. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Serving in Peru
Learn more about the Volunteer experience in Peru: Get detailed information on culture, communications, housing, health, and safety -- including health and crime statistics -- in order to make a well-informed decision about serving.
Before you apply, please review Medical Information for Applicants to learn about the medical clearance process.
Does this sound like the position for you?
Get started on your journey.