Rural Extension Specialist
Peace Corps Response positions are open to returned Volunteers or U.S. citizens with significant professional and technical experience.
Don't meet these requirements? View our Peace Corps Volunteer openings.
Peace Corps Response Volunteers (PCRVs) with advanced proficiency in written and spoken Spanish and experience in adult training design and organizational capacity development strategies are needed to build capacity on methodologies for planning, organization, management and effective delivery of rural extension services. Response Volunteers will co-facilitate with, observe and coach community leaders and extension agents, on methods for non-formal adult learning, participatory community development, inclusion strategies, group management, and project monitoring and evaluation among others. Additionally PCRVs will conduct an initial diagnosis of knowledge and contribute to the development of project resources; training materials and monitoring, reporting, and evaluation (MRE) tools.
Please note that departure dates and other details of this project could change because of the uncertainties as Peace Corps and local partners resume Volunteer operations. Candidates selected for this position will be arriving in Guatemala together as a group, so while the departure dates for the whole group could change, dates cannot be changed for individual candidates.
• Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science degree in any field.
• Advanced proficiency in written and spoken Spanish.
• Experience employing organizational capacity development strategies including participatory assessment, decision making, and planning processes with community based organizations and/or in rural community development projects.
• Experience in adult training design and delivery in non-formal settings.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills to establish solid working relationships with counterparts in an intercultural environment.
• At least two years of experience working in a low-resource, cross-cultural context.
• Willingness to work with rural populations in the field.
The Peace Corps embraces and leverages the diversity of its volunteers as a reflection of America's diversity. Peace Corps Response is committed to reflecting the diversity of the United States in the professionals we send into the field to support the mission of world peace and friendship. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Before you apply, please review Medical Information for Applicants to learn about the clearance process and other health conditions that are difficult to accommodate in Peace Corps service.
Does this sound like the position for you?
Get started on your journey.