Preschool and Primary School Bilingual Education Specialist
Peace Corps Response positions are open to returned Volunteers or U.S. citizens with significant professional and technical experience.
Don't meet these requirements? View our Peace Corps Volunteer openings.
A Peace Corps Response Volunteer (PCRV) is needed to serve as a Bilingual Education Strategy Specialist with the Alliance for Bilingualism (ABi) in the Ministry of Public Education. The ABi is an inter-sectoral alliance to extend the mastery of English and other languages as a state policy that ensures universal access opportunities for people of all ages and from all territories. The ABi was launched in 2018 with several different partners and sectors around the country including the Ministry of Education, Ministry of Labor and Social Security, the business sector, the National Apprenticeship Institute and the Ministry of Science, Technology and Telecommunications. This alliance will serve as a platform to link the plans of public institutions with the private sector support to promote and ensure the success of the strategy for the entire population. The PCRV will work closely with several of the advisors at the Vice-Ministry to strengthen the English educational system throughout Costa Rican public schools.
A PCRV with a Bachelor’s degree in education or related field and experience in TEFL will work with the ABi to develop English learning strategies from pre-kindergarten to high school. The Volunteer will lead several teacher trainings on the action-oriented approach, information communication technology (ICT), Task-Based Learning, especially pre-kindergarten teaching techniques. In addition, the Volunteer is needed to assess pedagogical strategies implemented in the country and conduct site visits to locations where projects are being implemented. The PCRV will develop an assessment proposal to track student achievement. The goal of this assignment is to further the English education system in the Costa Rican public school system.
Please note that departure dates and other details of this project could change because of the uncertainties as Peace Corps and local partners resume volunteer operations. Candidates selected for this position will be arriving in Costa Rica together as a group, so while the departure dates for the whole group could change, dates cannot be changed for individual candidates.
Vice-Ministerio Académico (Academic Vice-Ministry) - Alliance for Bilingualism (ABi)
• High tolerance for ambiguity and high level of flexibility – some details of this project could change because of the uncertainties as Peace Corps and local partners resume volunteer operations
• Bachelor’s degree in education or any related field.
• At least two years of experience in teaching EFL to pre-K elementary and/or elementary-age students.
• At least two years of experience in language acquisition programs at early stages/education
• At least two years of experience leading teacher training activities.
• Ability to work in a team.
• Excellent public speaking skills.
• Willingness to approach the position through the Peace Corps’ philosophy on development.
• Intermediate Spanish. Several professional interactions will occur in English but Spanish is needed to communicate with other staff and teachers who are not English professionals as well as for daily life interactions (getting to work, buying groceries, developing local relationships, etc.).
The Peace Corps embraces and leverages the diversity of its volunteers as a reflection of America's diversity. Peace Corps Response is committed to reflecting the diversity of the United States in the professionals we send into the field to support the mission of world peace and friendship. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Serving in Costa Rica
Learn more about the Volunteer experience in Costa Rica: Get detailed information on culture, communications, housing, and safety — including crime statistics [PDF] — in order to make a well-informed decision about serving.
Before you apply, please review Medical Information for Applicants to learn about the medical clearance process.
Does this sound like the position for you?
Get started on your journey.