Organizational Management Specialist
Peace Corps Response positions are open to returned Volunteers or U.S. citizens with significant professional and technical experience.
Don't meet these requirements? View our Peace Corps Volunteer openings.
A Peace Corps Response Volunteer (PCRV) is needed to serve as an Organizational Management Specialist with the Costa Rican Sports and Recreation Institute (ICODER). ICODER’s primary aim is to promote, support and encourage individual and collective practice of sports and recreation in order to capitalize on the multiple physical, mental and social development benefits of such activities. In 2020, the first National Policy on Sport, Recreation and Physical Activity 2020-2030 will be enacted. The policy will require ICODER to change its organizational paradigm in search of innovation, and transparency, while embodying new horizontal and collaborative approaches to public management. One of the most important limitations preventing the institution to become more agile and competent is the lack of specialized human resources in management and strategic planning. For this reason, a PCRV with strong theoretical-practical knowledge and skills is needed to support ICODER in this transformation. The PCRV will be supporting the institutional goal of by 2022 developing the necessary management capacity to work by processes and projects in order to operate under a Managing for Development Results approach.
A PCRV with several years of experience in project management and strategic planning and experience conducting training is needed to promote project management approaches within ICODER. The Volunteer will help establish a strategy for institutional evaluation, use a processes approach to ensure adequate institutional management in compliance with established functions and norms, and promote quality management within all ICODER management processes. The goal of this assignment is to work with ICODER to make recommendations to improve the organization’s procedures and processes.
Please note that departure dates and other details of this project could change because of the uncertainties as Peace Corps and local partners resume volunteer operations. Candidates selected for this position will be arriving in Costa Rica together as a group, so while the departure dates for the whole group could change, dates cannot be changed for individual candidates.
Costa Rican Sports and Recreation Institute (ICODER - Instituto Costarricense del Deporte y la Recreación )
• High tolerance for ambiguity and high level of flexibility – some details of this project could change because of the uncertainties as Peace Corps and local partners resume volunteer operations
• Bachelor’s degree in business, management, or related field and 5 years of related work experience, OR a Master’s degree in business, management, or related field and two years of related work experience.
• Previous experience in the review and design of institutional processes.
• Training and experience in Project Management.
• Understanding of the Managing for Development Results approach.
• Experience conducting training.
• Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Excel and tools for process design.
• Ability to negotiate and work in a teams.
• Advanced level of Spanish as a second language: while a reduced number of project partners may be able to communicate in English, Spanish will be needed to communicate with other relevant department’s as well as for daily life interactions.
The Peace Corps embraces and leverages the diversity of its volunteers as a reflection of America's diversity. Peace Corps Response is committed to reflecting the diversity of the United States in the professionals we send into the field to support the mission of world peace and friendship. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Serving in Costa Rica
Learn more about the Volunteer experience in Costa Rica: Get detailed information on culture, communications, housing, and safety — including crime statistics [PDF] — in order to make a well-informed decision about serving.
Before you apply, please review Medical Information for Applicants to learn about the medical clearance process.
Does this sound like the position for you?
Get started on your journey.