Gender-focused Youth Education Advisor
The organization Presse Jeune Développement (PJD) in Cameroon has requested the support of a Peace Corps Response Volunteer (PCRV) to serve as a Gender-focused Youth Education Advisor. PJD works to strengthen the capacity of community-based, youth-centered organizations, carries out awareness-raising, capacity-building, and support activities within the communities, and fights against gender-based violence (GBV) and HIV/AIDS. To advance their newly updated gender strategy, PJD is working on the development and implementation of a series of country-wide training and workshops with local counterparts. As a cross-cutting sector, this gender-focused training series will reinforce the work of PJD peer educators and other frontline, grassroots Volunteers, in a variety of sectors, including PJD’s largest portfolio which is their work in the fight to prevent HIV/AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis.
The PCRV will work collaboratively with PJD's Quality Control Manager and Gender Focal Point to support PJD in promoting their Gender Strategy and gender-focused programming, which includes designing and implementing trainings and behavior change communication around gender equity and girls’ education and empowerment. Part of the Volunteer’s role will be to support PJD staff to co-facilitate country-wide training and workshops with local counterparts. The PJD staff will then work with the PCRV to replicate these trainings at the grassroots level, reinforcing their volunteer network’s capacity to deliver equitable training and outreach models that equally engage both adolescent boys and girls and young men and women in a wide range of topics, including HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment adherence.
Candidates selected for this position will be arriving in Cameroon together as a group, so while the departure dates for the whole group could change, dates cannot be changed for individual candidates.
Presse Jeune Développement (PJD)
• Bachelor’s degree in women’s studies, sociology, gender studies, public health, international development or a related field.
• French language skills (intermediate-mid level)
• Academic or work experience in the field of gender and women studies,youth development, adolescent health, community based organization, community mobilization, or community health.
• 2 years’ experience in a low-resource public health or social service system.
• Strong verbal communication and facilitation skills, ability to present information and conduct training sessions.
• Strong written communication skills, ability to write and edit training and reporting documents.
• High tolerance for ambiguity and high level of flexibility
The Peace Corps embraces and leverages the diversity of its volunteers as a reflection of America's diversity. Peace Corps Response is committed to reflecting the diversity of the United States in the professionals we send into the field to support the mission of world peace and friendship. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Serving in Cameroon
Learn more about the Volunteer experience in Cameroon: Get detailed information on culture, communications, housing, health, and safety -- including health and crime statistics -- in order to make a well-informed decision about serving.
Before you apply, please review Medical Information for Applicants to learn about the medical clearance process.
Does this sound like the position for you?
Get started on your journey.