Economic Empowerment Specialist
Peace Corps Response positions are open to returned Volunteers or U.S. citizens with significant professional and technical experience.
Don't meet these requirements? View our Peace Corps Volunteer openings.
A Peace Corps Response Volunteer is needed to serve as an Economic Empowerment Specialist for the Namibia Community Skills Development Foundation (COSDEF). COSDEF coordinates, supports, and supervises Community Skills Development Centres (COSDECs) throughout Namibia, with the goal of training women, out of school youth, and disadvantaged community members in practical skills related to business, entrepreneurship, and life skills to improve quality of life and enable them to pursue employment opportunities. COSDECs also operate Business Development (BD) Support Centers that coordinate the business incubation program. The main focus of the business incubation units is to produce successful entrepreneurs who will contribute to the economic development of Namibia by supplying local products and services to their communities.
The assistance of a Peace Corps Response Volunteer (PCRV) is needed to provide support services and technical assistance to these BD Centers to better analyze, design, implement, and monitor projects addressing youth and women’s economic empowerment, with a focus on improving equity. In addition, the PCRV will address capacity gaps among BD Centre staff, including the incubator participants. The PCRV will work alongside the Business Development & Marketing Manager and BD Center staff to engage a range of stakeholders (civil society, government, the private sector, and local and regional partners) to ensure that the program promotes inclusion and contributes to increased economic opportunities among vulnerable young people and a source of income for the Centers. The PCRV will work under the direct management of and closely with the Business Development & Marketing Manager at COSDEF Support Unit, and help ensure that appropriate technical skill building interventions and strategies for accessing markets and business networks are integrated into the program.
Please note that departure dates and other details of this project could change because of the uncertainties as Peace Corps and local partners resume volunteer operations. Dates may not be changed for individual candidates.
Namibia Community Skills Development Foundation (COSDEF)
• High tolerance for ambiguity and high level of flexibility – some details of this project could change because of the uncertainties as Peace Corps and local partners resume volunteer operations
• Bachelor’s degree in a field related to sustainable development, economics, entrepreneurship and/or business management
• 5 years of experience in business development, entrepreneurship development or economic empowerment
• 5 years of working experience in development work, project/program coordination and management, policy analysis and development
• High level of adaptability and flexibility with ability to maneuver between the strategic to routine tasks daily
• Proven experience on developing systems, procedures, guidelines, manuals and templates for reporting and verification practices
• Substantive experience in proposal writing, proposal management, teaming, and the overall bidding process
The Peace Corps embraces and leverages the diversity of its volunteers as a reflection of America's diversity. Peace Corps Response is committed to reflecting the diversity of the United States in the professionals we send into the field to support the mission of world peace and friendship. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Serving in Namibia
Learn more about the Volunteer experience in Namibia: Get detailed information on culture, communications, housing, health, and safety -- including health and crime statistics -- in order to make a well-informed decision about serving.
Before you apply, please review Medical Information for Applicants to learn about the medical clearance process.
Does this sound like the position for you?
Get started on your journey.