The Core Curriculum Unit, Ministry of Education, Youth and Information (MOEYI) in Jamaica has requested the support of Peace Corps Response Volunteers (PCRVs) to serve as a Curriculum Officer. In 2015, the National Standards Curriculum (NSC), with a focus on higher level literacy skills, was rolled-out, but interpreting and implementing the higher level standards poses a challenge to many classroom teachers who are not subject specialists and therefore possess basic knowledge of literacy and language instruction. The National literacy Team aims to build the capacity of teachers to effectively implement the Language arts standards of the National Standards Curriculum and achieve desired student outcomes. The support of Peace Corps Response Volunteers (PCRVs) has been requested to produce and institutionalize English Language Arts/Literacy Curriculum support documents, prepare related teacher- training manuals and train teachers, web-based and otherwise, to use the support documents.
The PCRVs, with a master’s degree in Education or related field and three years’ experience implementing literacy or language learning initiatives in settings that include children from varied socioeconomic backgrounds are needed to work with the Regional Literacy Coordinator, Literacy Specialist and other curriculum officers to assess the needs in each region, develop materials, train staff, and establish a professional community. The initial assessment will involve conducting a sector inventory, mapping of services, and interviews among senior management, middle management, curriculum unit staff, and teachers to provide insights into the current opportunities and needs of English Language Arts/Literacy Curriculum support documents creation. The overall goal of this assignment is to develop curriculum support documents for the English Language Arts Curriculum and engage teachers and reading support staff in on-going training, web-based and otherwise.
Please note that departure dates and other details of this project could change because of the uncertainties as Peace Corps and local partners resume volunteer operations. Candidates selected for this position will be arriving in Jamaica together as a group, so while the departure dates for the whole group could change, dates cannot be changed for individual candidates.
Core Curriculum Unit, Ministry of Education, Youth and Information (MOEYI)
• High tolerance for ambiguity and high level of flexibility – some details of this project could change because of the uncertainties as Peace Corps and local partners resume volunteer operations
• Master’s Degree in Education or related field.
• At least three (3) years’ experience implementing literacy or language learning initiatives in settings that include children from varied socioeconomic backgrounds.
• One year international experience.
• Experience in establishing and supporting professional learning communities
• Experience in assessment and report writing; training and facilitation,
• Working knowledge of qualitative research methodologies,
• Ability to live and work under challenging emotional and physical conditions
• Ability to work proactively as a member of the Regional Literacy Team
• Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated flexibility in cross-cultural environment
• Ability to engage at all levels – community to policy
The Peace Corps embraces and leverages the diversity of its volunteers as a reflection of America's diversity. Peace Corps Response is committed to reflecting the diversity of the United States in the professionals we send into the field to support the mission of world peace and friendship. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Serving in Jamaica
Learn more about the Volunteer experience in Jamaica: Get detailed information on culture, communications, housing, health, and safety -- including health and crime statistics -- in order to make a well-informed decision about serving.
Before you apply, please review Medical Information for Applicants to learn about the medical clearance process.
Does this sound like the position for you?
Get started on your journey.