Chemistry and Biology Instructor
The Nimba County Community College (NCCC) in Liberia has requested the support of Peace Corps Response Volunteers (PCRVs) to serve as Chemistry and Biology Instructors. NCCC remains committed to the creation of an enabling learning environment in fulfillment of its statutory obligation to provide quality education with emphasis on Science, technology and Math where students are inspired and challenged to excel and attain the highest academic potential. NCCC is focused on becoming a regional center which can attract students from across Liberia and seeks to explore avenues to empower participating students, faculty and staff by building partnerships with local, national and international organizations geared towards the college’s development and capacity enhancement.
The PCRVs will collaborate with NCCC staff to teach about 9 to 12 credit hours in relevant content areas and prepare lectures and recommend reference reading materials. The PCRVs will also provide mentoring and training of faculty on new trends, techniques, methodologies especially in the use of new applications and technology.
Candidates selected for this position will be arriving in Liberia together as a group, so while the departure dates for the whole group could change, dates cannot be changed for individual candidates.
Nimba County Community College (NCCC)
• Master’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, or a related field
• Experienced in college teaching and cultural diversity
• Capable of preparing course syllabi
• Enterprising/participatory/experiential type of teaching experience
• Critical thinking skills and research oriented teaching experience
• Classroom management skills experience
• The ability to inspire students develop interest in the course
• The commitment to encouraging excellence in teaching
• Sound judgment, critical thinking, flexibility, creativity, resourcefulness and excellent communication
• High tolerance for ambiguity and high level of flexibility
The Peace Corps embraces and leverages the diversity of its volunteers as a reflection of America's diversity. Peace Corps Response is committed to reflecting the diversity of the United States in the professionals we send into the field to support the mission of world peace and friendship. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Serving in Liberia
Learn more about the Volunteer experience in Liberia: Get detailed information on culture, communications, housing, health, and safety -- including health and crime statistics -- in order to make a well-informed decision about serving.
Before you apply, please review Medical Information for Applicants to learn about the medical clearance process.
Does this sound like the position for you?
Get started on your journey.