Agriculture Business Income Specialist
The Rural Agricultural Development Authority (RADA) in Jamaica has requested the support of a Peace Corps Response Volunteer (PCRV) to serve as an Agriculture Business Income Specialist. Parish-level Extension Officers from the RADA are stretched to be able to adequately work with communities to build the organizational capacity and technical skills of community organizations focused on agriculture. The aim of this Response position is to enhance parish-level extension capacity for the RADA in agriculture business income.
The PCRV will support RADA to discover, design and adapt training materials aligned to build capacity of colleagues and farmers. The Agriculture Business Income Specialist will visit a sampling of farmer groups and hold focus group discussions on areas of opportunity and need as understood by the groups, create and submit an initial findings report to their supervisor, do technical extension work, and with RADA staff colleagues, meet with relevant local, parish and national government, public and private sector entities to examine ways to collaborate and leverage partnerships for effective service provision. The overall goal of this assignment is to assist the PCRV’s assigned parish and also provide training of trainers and other training materials for two other parishes.
Please note that departure dates and other details of this project could change because of the uncertainties as Peace Corps and local partners resume volunteer operations. Candidates selected for this position will be arriving in Jamaica together as a group, so while the departure dates for the whole group could change, dates cannot be changed for individual candidates.
Rural Agricultural Development Authority (RADA)
• High tolerance for ambiguity and high level of flexibility – some details of this project could change because of the uncertainties as Peace Corps and local partners resume volunteer operations
• Master’s Degree or equivalent in agriculture, business, or related field
• 4 years’ experience in improved management practices and technologies to conserve, store, and/or transform agricultural products to add value.
• 4 years’ experience in agriculture-based business skills
• Five years of international development experience in either national level or community-based
• Experience in assessment and report writing; training and facilitation,
• Working knowledge of qualitative research methodologies,
• Ability to live and work under challenging emotional and physical conditions
• Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated flexibility in cross-cultural environment
• Ability to engage at all levels – community to policy
The Peace Corps embraces and leverages the diversity of its volunteers as a reflection of America's diversity. Peace Corps Response is committed to reflecting the diversity of the United States in the professionals we send into the field to support the mission of world peace and friendship. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Serving in Jamaica
Learn more about the Volunteer experience in Jamaica: Get detailed information on culture, communications, housing, health, and safety -- including health and crime statistics -- in order to make a well-informed decision about serving.
Before you apply, please review Medical Information for Applicants to learn about the medical clearance process.
Does this sound like the position for you?
Get started on your journey.