What was the most important item on your packing list?
We asked these trainees to share the most important item they packed for their Peace Corps service in Panama.
1. "I’m bringing a yoga instruction manual. I’m a yoga instructor and I love it." - DJ Herzog
2. "I’m bringing a Polaroid camera and film. I want to take pictures of the influential people I meet. Eventually, I’ll use the photos to write a book about my life."- Kasey Harlos
3. "I’m bringing my phone to stay connected with friends, family and new people I meet! I’m using it to keep a journal of my adventure as well." - Shervin Chambers
4. "I’m bringing a green ceramic bowl. My best friend made me this bowl when we lived together in college. After I graduated, I moved away and lived alone for a while. I ate most of my meals out of this bowl, and it reminded me of my friends and family." - Carl Evans
5. "I bringing a pair of desert socks to represent my hometown of Tucson, Arizona. They feature saguaros and snakes and bright southwestern colors." - Sean Schrag Toso
6. "I’m bringing an evil eye from Turkey. I’m Turkish, so evil eyes have surrounded me my entire life. It’s from my sister and it’s supposed to ward away bad luck." - Allison Gokbudak
7. "I’m bringing whey protein to stay healthy. It also reminds me of the full-belly feeling I get after a home-cooked meal." - Sam Cornia
8. "I brought my Puerto Rican flag because it represents who I am and where I come from. It shows the diversity of the U.S. and the impact of Latino culture in the U.S." - Carlos E. Firpi
9. "My camera is really important to me and my sense of purpose for service. I would like to publish a book of my photographs." - Anthony Wieland
10. "I brought this magnifying glass because it was a sentimental gift from my best friend. It reminds me of all the little things my loved ones have given me on my road to Peace Corps." - Miranda Savioli
11. "I’m bringing my cat’s collar because I love and will miss him." - Colin Marston Leff
12. "I’m bringing a hemp bag containing mementos from each of my family members. The bag is painted by my loving boyfriend." - Chelsea Rozanski