VIDEO: Feijoada from Mozambique
How to make: Feijoada from Mozambique
· 3 garlic cloves, minced
· 1/2 onion, chopped
· 2 tomatoes, diced
· 2 carrots, chopped
· 3 sausages, cubed
· 1 pound pork, cubed
· 2 cups red kidney beans (traditionally made with black beans)
· 1/4 cup vegetable oil
· 4 bay leaves
· piri piri to taste (hot sauce)
1. Chop vegetables (garlic, onion, tomatoes, carrots) and set aside.
2. Cube sausage and pork into bite-size pieces.
3. On medium heat, sauté garlic and onion in vegetable oil.
4. Add tomatoes, carrots, sausage and pork and sauté until meat is browned.
5. Add 1 cup of water and bring to a boil.
6. Add the kidney beans and bay leaves into the mixture.
7. Add piri piri sauce to taste (or substitute your favorite hot sauce).
8. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
9. Serve over rice.