VIDEO: Ecuadorian Ceviche
How to make: Ecuadorian Ceviche
· 1/2 red onion, chopped
· 2 tomatoes, diced
· 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
· Hot pepper, to taste
· Juice of one lemon and/or lime
· 1 pound fresh tuna (high-grade), cubed
· Salt, to taste
· Optional: ketchup
1. Combine red onions, tomatoes and cilantro in a bowl.
2. Add the juice of a lemon or lime. Lemon will add a sweeter flavor; the lime will be more tart.
3. Add hot pepper and salt to taste.
4. Cube the tuna in to small cubes. Slice the tuna against the grain. You can substitute cooked shrimp instead of fish.
5. Add tuna to the bowl and mix. Marinade the mixture for 20 minutes in a refrigerator. The acidity of the citrus will cook the fish.
6. For traditional Ecuadorian style, add ketchup to taste.
*We encourage you follow the marinate step as the FDA notes eating raw or undercooked seafood may increase your risk of foodborne illness.