World Community Education Center - Montessori High School Educators
World Commuinty Education Center
About the organization
Located in a wooded setting near the small city of Bedford Virginia, the World Community Education Center (WCEC) offers a prepared environment for learning focused on academic excellence and universal spiritual values that build character and community responsibility. Individual attention is key to helping each student find his or her genius. The knowledge-plus-values based approach prepares future generations for the challenges of the 21st Century.
Students from pre-K through high school thrive in classes that utilize proven curricula and research-based best practices with an emphasis on rigorous academics, creative and critical thinking, mutual discovery, and practical life skills. All lessons are taught with the intention:
* to nurture self-confidence
* with recognition of the love of order
* with respect for others
* to develop self-discipline
* to promote generosity
* to cultivate cooperation
* to facilitate service to family and community
WCEC is seeking energetic and dedicated teachers to begin in August, 2021. We currently have two openings for high school teachers: STEM Instructor and Language Instructor.
1) multi-disciplinary or STEM focused. The ideal candidate will have Bachelors or Masters; enthusiasm for project-based learning; teaching experience, preferably in STEM subjects; experience working with a diverse group of students; excellent communication skills; the ability to work collaboratively in a team; a love for the outdoors; a passion for working with adolescents
2) English and Spanish teacher. Our growing High School serves a dynamic group of 10 students (grades 9-12). The Adolescent Guide is responsible for the educational advancement for these 10 students, utilizing principles based in the Montessori tradition of education to teach High School level English and Literature to a mixed age group. Specific responsibilities include planning, leading, and implementing the English and Literature curriculum, supporting students, communication with parents regarding student progress, and organizing and supporting a variety of student-led and hands-on projects.
The ideal STEM candidate will have Bachelors or Masters; enthusiasm for project-based learning; teaching experience, preferably with a diverse group of students; knowledge/experience in STEM fields (particularly the sciences); excellent communication skills; the ability to work in a team; a love for the outdoors; and a passion for working with adolescents.
The ideal English & Spanish candidate will have Bachelors or Masters; enthusiasm for project-based learning; teaching experience, preferably with a diverse group of students; excellent communication skills; the ability to work in a team; a love for the outdoors; and a passion for working with adolescents.The ideal candidate will also be able to teach Spanish language at all levels of our school. NOTE: While our ideal candidate can teach English and Spanish, candidates who can teach only English or Spanish may apply.
At the WCEC, all teachers are active community members who share in the general support and care of the school community, serve as student advisors, and participate in community service. Responsibilities for this position also include collaboration and participation in a school-wide, co-curricular activities
SCHEDULE: These are 9-monthpositions, beginning August 2021. Schedule to be determined by course load. Ability to support school functions, which occasionally occur on evenings and weekends, is a plus.
Compensation to be determined based on experience/ability.
Contact email: [email protected]
Interested candidates send your letter of interest and resume to: Atefeh Leavitt, Head of School
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job