Volunteer Manager, New York (Brooklyn/Bronx)
About the organization
Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social-emotional direct service programming utilizing an evidence-backed curriculum for preschool children from underserved communities, workforce programming to expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education, and policy advocacy to support the early childhood field and promote high-quality early learning for all. Learn more at www.jstart.org
The Volunteer Manager is a full year position, which drives Corps Member outcomes through strong supervision and programming. The primary responsibilities of the Volunteer Manager are to oversee campus relationships at 1-3 higher education partners, recruit and supervise up to 100 college and/or community volunteers and ensure that Jumpstart Performance Standards are achieved in conjunction with other Jumpstart staff. The Volunteer Manager serves as the primary support for Jumpstart Corps Members serving as part-time AmeriCorps members and volunteers in preschools in underserved communities. The Volunteer Manager reports to the Director of Programming and works closely with a team comprised of a Quality Coach and Program Coordinator.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant professional experience
• 2-3 years of prior work experience that includes volunteer management
• Prior work experience in a higher education and/or managing college students and community members
• Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with university staff and community
• Ability to prioritize and multi-task in order to meet key benchmarks as scheduled
• Solid public speaking, presentation, and written communication skills
• Strong organizational, relationship building, collaboration and problem-solving skills
• Competency in Microsoft software, especially Outlook, Excel, Word, and Power Point
• Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values: learning, connection, determination, joy and kindness
• Ability and willingness to travel to assigned locations/sites as necessary
• Experience and comfort working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities
• Commitment to creating an inclusive environment and working with diverse populations
• Prior experience in social justice, or diversity, equity, and inclusion work
• Prior experience recruiting for service-based programs
• Prior experience in supervising others; ability to provide verbal and written feedback
• Experience working in NYC urban environments
• Ability to manage basic fiscal matters
Contact email: [email protected]
Please complete an online application at https://www.jstart.org/about/careers/. Both a cover letter and resume are required to complete your application. Applications without a cover letter may not be considered. Candidates will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Please upload/attach your resume to your applicant profile as well as your cover letter.
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health choices, marital status, age, pregnancy, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities. Please visit our website at www.jstart.org.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job