Vocational Construction Instructor
About the organization
Since 1971, SER Metro-Detroit has consistently maintained a high-performance record in the skills training and placement of consumers into unsubsidized employment in the private sector and in providing employers with a diverse, qualified workforce. The means by which our mission of cultivating a qualified, skilled and adaptable workforce for metropolitan Detroit and the global economy is reflected in our name: Service, Employment, and Redevelopment. SER Metro-Detroit works to give each consumer of services the resources needed to create a life of self-sufficiency and self-fulfillment. SER program mix includes: literacy and education, job readiness skills training, occupational skills training, vocational skills training, job seeker and employer services, welfare reform programming, economic and community development, employment, and extensive youth programming. The services delivery system includes the active participation of the public and private sectors, education, and government.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Encourages students to set and maintain high standards of classroom behavior and academic achievement.
2. Maintains a blended classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and individual academic level of the students.
3. Follows the Distance Learning vocational platform and computer lab policies while adhering to Detroit Public Schools Alternative Education Regulations.
4. Teaches vocational classes, focusing on a contextualized construction curriculum.
5. Organizes computer lab class signage, assists with student sign-on, assigns lessons, and conducts assessments, testing, and final exams as required.
6. Establishes and maintains open lines of communication with students, colleagues, and parents concerning both academic and behavioral progress of assigned students.
7. Maintains student discipline and daily attendance systems with high standards, inputs attendance and grades online in a timely fashion and monitors attendance records.
8. Follow procedures for safe storing and integrity of all public and confidential school records.
9. Display the highest ethical and professional behavior and standards when working with students, parents and school personnel.
10. Report incidents regarding violence, vandalism, attendance and discipline matters to Site Administrator.
11. Assist with identifying and addressing special needs of students including health-related concerns, and physical needs
1. Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university required.
2. State of Michigan Secondary Teaching Certification required. Preference for votech certification or math.
3. Proficient in High School Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra II
4. Two to three years’ experience in adult education and/or with at-risk youth.
5. Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
6. Bilingual language skills in English/Spanish and/or English Arabic is preferred.
7. Ability to interact with student, parent and staff in a positive and productive manner.
8. Ability to effectively educate and manage students from varying backgrounds and socio-economic levels
9. Experience in effectively handling conflict.
10. Valid Michigan Driver’s License. –Must be willing to obtain chauffeur’s license to assist with driving 15 passenger van to transport students to related work-sites, field trips, or other student events.
11. Incumbent must have reliable means of transportation to travel to various locations outside of the office.
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job