Virtual Teacher (On-Site)
About the organization
About SER YOUTHBUILD Learning Academy: SYLA is a charter high school for youth ages 14-21. Its model combines classroom instruction by a certified teacher with enabling students to learn a trade while in school, providing learners with the knowledge, skills, and self-discipline necessary to become successful citizens in a global society. At SYLA you will be part of a team that believes in this mission and makes real impact in young people’s lives.
1. Encourages students to set and maintain high standards of classroom behavior and academic achievement.
2. Maintains a 50 person virtual classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and individual academic level of the students.
3. Contacts students daily by phone, text or email to encourage daily attendance and engagement.
4. Provides attendance/engagement numbers to Administrative Assistant twice daily.
5. Follows the Distance Learning platform and computer lab policies while adhering to our governing district’s education regulations.
6. Maintains daily retention logs and hourly check-ins with students enrolled in the virtual classroom.
7. Refers student for tutoring or foundational support as needed.
8. Organizes computer lab class signage, assists with student sign-on, assigns lessons, and conducts assessments, testing, and final exams as required. Tracks course completions and assigns new courses to students after a class has been successfully completed.
9. Assists with identifying platform problems, program usage issues, and works with tech support staff to resolve.
10. Establishes and maintains positive open lines of communication with students, colleagues, and parents concerning both academic and behavioral progress of assigned student.
11. Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum standards and establishes clear objectives which reflect these standards for all lessons, units, and projects.
1. Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university is required.
2. State of Michigan Secondary Teaching Certification required, preferably with an Endorsement in Mathematics
3. Two to three years’ experience in adult education and/or with at-risk youth.
4. Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
5. Experience with technology and Microsoft Office software.
6. Ability to interact with students, parents and staff in a positive and productive manner.
7. Ability to effectively educate and manage students from varying backgrounds and socio- economic levels.
8. Experience in effectively handling conflict.
9. Valid Michigan Driver’s License. Incumbent must also have reliable means of transportation to travel to various locations outside of the office.
10. Must complete FBI fingerprinting and a satisfactory criminal background check must be received, proof of a recent negative tuberculosis test result must be received as well as successful unprofessional conduct check.
$50,000-$55,000 per year
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job