Van Driver (Youth Advocate)
About the organization
Since 1971, SER Metro-Detroit has consistently maintained a high-performance record in the skills training and placement of consumers into unsubsidized employment in the private sector and in providing employers with a diverse, qualified workforce. The means by which our mission of cultivating a qualified, skilled and adaptable workforce for metropolitan Detroit and the global economy is reflected in our name: Service, Employment, and Redevelopment. SER Metro-Detroit works to give each consumer of services the resources needed to create a life of self-sufficiency and self-fulfillment. SER program mix includes: literacy and education, job readiness skills training, occupational skills training, vocational skills training, job seeker and employer services, welfare reform programming, economic and community development, employment, and extensive youth programming. The services delivery system includes the active participation of the public and private sectors, education, and government.
JOB SUMMARY: SER Youth Services Team is looking for an engaged, energetic, and experienced driver to transport youth participants in a 15 passenger van. The candidate must have a valid State of Michigan Chauffer’s License. The Van Driver (Youth Advocate) will engage with the participants and will be responsible for transporting youth participants (to and from school, jobs, appointments, etc.) while adhering to predetermined schedule and be available as needed for a total of 20 hours a week. This position requires an individual who will interact courteously and effectively with youth, staff and partners under varying circumstances. The ideal candidate will have two years of work related driving experience and three years of customer service experience. The wage for the position ranges from $14.00 - $16.00 per hour.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Transports youth participants including staff to various locations.
2. Supports Youth Services staff in delivery of services to the community.
3. Performs daily safety pre-trip checks, tires, brakes, windshield wipers, lights, oil, fuel, water to ensure that everything is in working order.
4. Reports maintenance problems or youth participant incidents to supervisor immediately.
5. Supports a safe work environment by performing duties in accordance with acceptable work procedures.
6. Maintains driver logs, trip sheets, and fuel logs.
7. Uses a personal computer to input information.
1. Minimum two (2) years of work related experience including driving experience.
2. Must possess (3) years of customer service experience.
3. Ability to interact with youth participants in a positive and productive manner.
4. Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
5. Bilingual language skills in English/Spanish preferred.
6. Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access).
7. Ability to adhere to time constraints and schedules.
8. General knowledge of Youth Services programs.
9. Mental ability to handle pressures related to dealing with multiple individuals from diverse backgrounds and varying levels of need.
10. Knowledge of traffic regulations.
11. General familiarity with surrounding areas.
12. Drives vehicle in a safe manner and wears a safety belt when operating a vehicle at all times.
13. Ability to read and comprehend a map.
14. Must be 18 years of age and provide a valid State of Michigan Chauffeurs License.
15. Must have access to reliable transportation.
16. Must complete a background check including drug screen.
17. Evening and/or weekend hours may be occasionally required.
Contact email: [email protected]
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit resume and cover letter to [email protected] Please include full name and specify job position of interest in subject line.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job