Van Driver (Part-Time)
About the organization
Since 1971, SER Metro-Detroit has consistently maintained a high-performance record in the skills training and placement of consumers into unsubsidized employment in the private sector and in providing employers with a diverse, qualified workforce. The means by which our mission of cultivating a qualified, skilled and adaptable workforce for metropolitan Detroit and the global economy is reflected in our name: Service, Employment, and Redevelopment. SER Metro-Detroit works to give each consumer of services the resources needed to create a life of self-sufficiency and self-fulfillment. SER program mix includes: literacy and education, job readiness skills training, occupational skills training, vocational skills training, job seeker and employer services, welfare reform programming, economic and community development, employment, and extensive youth programming. The services delivery system includes the active participation of the public and private sectors, education, and government.
1. Drives a transportation vehicle over assigned routes in accordance with an established time schedule.
2. Transports youth participants including staff to various locations.
3. Supports Youth Services staff in delivery of services to the community.
4. Performs daily safety pre-trip checks, tires, brakes, windshield wipers, lights, oil, fuel, water to ensure that everything is in working order.
5. Maintains the transportation vehicle in a clean and orderly condition, and inspects and reports mechanical defects of malfunctions or maintenance issues to Facilities/Procurement Manager.
6. Reports youth participant incidents to supervisor immediately.
7. Supports a safe work environment by performing duties in accordance with acceptable work procedures.
8. Maintains driver logs, trip sheets, and fuel logs.
9. Uses a personal computer to input information and maintain on various automated reporting systems as needed
10. Performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Minimum two (2) years of work related experience including driving experience.
2. Must possess (3) years of customer service experience.
3. Ability to interact with youth participants in a positive and productive manner.
4. Perform appropriately in situations requiring tact and diplomacy.
5. Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
6. Mental ability to handle pressures related to dealing with multiple individuals from diverse backgrounds and varying levels of need.
7. Excellent written and verbal communications skills; able to understand and carry out verbal and written directions.
8. Bilingual language skills in English/Spanish preferred.
9. Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access).
10. Ability to adhere to time constraints and schedules.
11. Ability to read and comprehend a map and has general familiarity with surrounding areas.
12. Drives vehicle in a safe manner and wears a safety belt when operating a vehicle at all times.
13. Knowledge of safe driving practices and techniques.
14. Knowledge of traffic regulations.
15. Must be 18 years of age and provide a valid State of Michigan Chauffeurs License, must meet local or state standards for driver record check.
16. Must be able to lift at least 30 pounds.
17. Must have access to reliable transportation.
18. Must complete a background check including drug screen.
19. Evening and/or weekend hours may be occasionally required.
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job