University Innovation Fellow
Arizona State University
About the organization
Arizona State University has developed a new model for the American research university, creating an institution committed to excellence, access and impact — the New American University. ASU’s charter, adopted in 2014, is the blueprint of that transformation:
ASU is a comprehensive public research university, measured not by whom it excludes, but by whom it includes and how they succeed; advancing research and discovery of public value; and assuming fundamental responsibility for the economic, social, cultural and overall health of the communities it serves.
Arizona State University is in the top one percent of the world’s most prestigious universities according to 2019 rankings announced by Time Higher Education.
Arizona State University provides an innovative and dynamic environment for over 25,000 dedicated employees, each of which plays a vital role in the University's mission.
The University Innovation Fellowship ( http://appliedinnovation.asu.edu/fellowship ) at Arizona State University (ASU) is designed to engage early- and mid-career policy-makers, analysts, technologists, engineers, researchers, communicators, writers, designers and leaders in generating and advancing big ideas that can transform higher education institutions and the communities they serve. Fellows develop a diverse project portfolio, collaborative philosophy and comprehensive skill set that helps them leverage emerging scientific, technological, policy and design innovations to expand access to educational and economic opportunity. They spend time gaining a better understanding of the role of higher education institutions serving their communities, developing and advancing innovative ideas at a rapid pace. Fellows will form an interdisciplinary team that utilizes a diversity of experiences to contribute to high-level projects, learn from university leaders and support institutional innovation.
Fellows complete a 13-month placement in the Office of Applied Innovation (July 13, 2020 – August 6, 2021). Outgoing and incoming fellows will work collaboratively during a one-month transition period. The fellowship is full-time (40+ hours per week) with a salary of $55,000 - $70,000. Additional benefits include health insurance, vacation and sick leave, paid holidays and reduced tuition.
Applications for the Fellowship in University Innovation are invited from those who:
● Are able to commit for the entire duration of the program
● Are authorized to work in the United States (Applicants must be either a citizen of the United States or be able to maintain work authorization throughout the fellowship. Arizona State University does not offer visa sponsorship to candidates for the fellowship program.)
● Having completed any graduate program within the last 7 years or graduating in Spring 2020.
Successful candidates will exhibit the following qualities:
● Ability to connect people, groups, and organizations
● Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
● Self-motivation, teamwork-orientation and entrepreneurial spirit
● Creative problem-solving skills, learning agility, and ability to adapt to change
● Comfort working with emerging technologies and their economic/social implications
● Experience in making adjustments to project strategy and implementation
● Capacity to perform in a fast-paced environment
● Superior academic achievement
$55000 - $70000
Contact email: [email protected]
Step 1: Create a single PDF document that includes the following components in this order:
1. Cover letter that addresses your interest in the fellowship, your interest in ASU and/or your interest in helping to build ASU as an innovative institution.
2. Resume, including employment listed in month/year format (e.g. August 2005-July 2008), job title, job duties/accomplishments and name of employing organization for each position.
3. Contact information for three professional references, including name, mailing address, phone number and email address.
4. Response to the following prompt: “In 300 words or less, describe the most innovative university process, practice or initiative that you have encountered.”
5. Writing sample demonstrating your skill in writing, critical thinking, analysis and synthesis of ideas/information.
See website for additional details.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job