Tutor - SER Learning Academy
About the organization
Since 1971, SER Metro-Detroit has consistently maintained a high-performance record in the skills training and placement of consumers into unsubsidized employment in the private sector and in providing employers with a diverse, qualified workforce. The means by which our mission of cultivating a qualified, skilled and adaptable workforce for metropolitan Detroit and the global economy is reflected in our name: Service, Employment, and Redevelopment. SER Metro-Detroit works to give each consumer of services the resources needed to create a life of self-sufficiency and self-fulfillment. SER program mix includes: literacy and education, job readiness skills training, occupational skills training, vocational skills training, job seeker and employer services, welfare reform programming, economic and community development, employment, and extensive youth programming. The services delivery system includes the active participation of the public and private sectors, education, and government.
1. Encourages students to set and maintain high standards of classroom behavior and academic achievement.
2. Assists with maintaining a blended classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and individual academic level of the students.
3. Follows the Distance Learning platform and computer lab policies while adhering to Hazel Park Alternative Education Regulations.
4. Assists with maintaining the computer lab, while assisting with teaching and monitoring classes using a variety of instructional strategies and materials.
5. Assists with computer lab class signage, assists with student sign-on, assists instructor with lessons and tutoring.
6. Establishes and maintains open lines of communication with students, colleagues, and parents concerning both academic and behavioral progress of assigned students.
7. Works cooperatively and in concert with other colleagues to advance a seamless, responsive and effective education environment for students.
8. Display the highest ethical and professional behavior and standards when working with students, parents and school personnel.
9. Report incidents regarding violence, vandalism, attendance and discipline matters to Site Administrator.
10. Performs such other related tasks and assumes such other related responsibilities as needed.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: NONE
• Associate’s degree preferred; high school diploma or equivalent (GED) required.
• One-year experience in adult education, and/or teaching, facilitating, counseling, training youth or equivalent training preferred.
• Strong math abilities and tutoring experience in the subject of math preferred.
• Excellent organizational, written and verbal communications skills.
• Interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate with staff, and students.
• Experience with Microsoft Office software.
• Ability to interact with students, parents and staff in a positive and productive manner.
• Ability to effectively educate and work with students from varying backgrounds and socio-economic levels.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing may be required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: This job operates in a normal office environment with little discomfort due to noise, dirt, dust and the like. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Contact email: [email protected]
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit resume and cover letter to [email protected] Please include full name and specify job position of interest in subject line.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job