Trek Manager, Oakland
About the organization
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. buildOn is not a charity, it’s a movement. In the United States, we run intensive service learning programs in 40 underserved high schools in six major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 27 years buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.3 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than 1.0 million people living below the U.S. poverty line. 97% of these youth graduate high school and nearly all of these go to college, even though 40% of the kids going to the same schools drop out.
Teams of buildOn students from our programs also fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built over 1,400 schools globally.
There are 2 primary Trek types:
● Treks for buildOn Partners - an opportunity for supporters (high school, college, corporate, family, small group, and individuals) to travel and work in solidarity with community members who are also contributing to the construction of a school in their village.
● Treks for buildOn US - made up of high school students participating in the buildOn US service learning program from some of the most challenged communities across the nation where school systems and families have limited access to resources. Trek is an opportunity for these students to experience tremendous personal growth through travel to the developing world, to work and live in solidarity with rural community members, and to bring those experiences back to their community through Trek presentations.
The ideal candidate is an international service professional with extensive experience living, traveling, and leading trips in the developing world. A history of service, donor stewardship, and youth development experience are crucial. The candidate must be highly organized, a creative problem-solver, possesses strong interpersonal skills, and is self-motivated. Consistent with buildOn’s core values and mission statement, he or she must have a passion and understanding of buildOn’s program focus.
● Earnest and sincere commitment to buildOn’s Mission and Core Values
● Requires a 4-year degree & a minimum of 2 years' related experience
● Experience living and working in the developing world (min. 1 year)
● Extensive experience leading service projects or as a volunteer
● Demonstrated ability to provide high-level support to donors
● Knowledge and experience working with urban youth
● Demonstrated ability to balance the demands of a rigorous methodology with the unique needs of each stakeholder
● Strong interpersonal skills with the capacity for building relationships with all types of stakeholders, from corporate CEOs, to college students, to urban high school youth
● Demonstrated leadership and organizational ability to balance and coordinate multiple projects, people, and assignments simultaneously
● Track record of taking initiative and requiring minimal supervision while completing complex assignments
● Proven record of maintaining timely and detailed records and reports
● Highly results oriented & independent work style
Contact email: [email protected]
Please Submit Resume and Cover Letter to [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply