Trek Coordinator, Part-Time
About the organization
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. We’re not a charity, we’re a movement. In the United States, we run intensive service-learning programs in under-resourced, urban high schools in six major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 28 years, buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.3 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than one million people living below the U.S. poverty line.
Globally, teams of students from buildOn programs fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built over 1600 schools in Haiti, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Mali, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Malawi and Nepal. More than 220,827 children, parents and grandparents attend these school every day
What You’ll Do
Student Trek Preparation
• Recruit: Work closely with the buildOn US Team to recruit students for Trek. (Recruitment includes attending buildOn meetings, making classrooms presentations, attending large-scale service projects to promote Trek, following up with students and parents to answer questions, set them at ease with the entire process, etc.)
• Interview/Selections: In partnership with buildOn US, travel to buildOn partner schools to interview and select students for Trek.
• Pre Trek Workshops: Work closely with Trek Manager to facilitate daylong Saturday Pre Trek Workshops to prepare students for Trek. (Trek Coordinators will lead all Pre Trek Workshops in cooperation with support staff and the US manager when present. Pre Trek II, which is a service project, is the responsibility of the Trek Coordinator in its entirety.)
• Support to Students and Families: Help students and their families as they prepare for Trek. This might include troubleshooting paperwork needed to obtain a passport, accompanying them to passport appointments, or helping organize travel medicine appointments.
Logistics and Paperwork
• Logistics: Organizing transportation, meeting space, and food for Pre and Post Trek events.
• Paperwork: Assist students in the collection of paperwork and utilize Salesforce to organize and store paperwork.
• International Trek: You are eligible to apply as a volunteer to support an international trek sponsored by buildOn.
What You Bring
• Must be 21 years of age
• An outgoing, creative and self-sufficient individual who is able to work independently and has a proven passion for service
• Experience living or volunteering in the developing world is a plus
• Available up to 20 hours per week during business hours and on Saturdays as necessary
• Knowledge and experience in the US-based region and school system
• Committed Individuals with a desire to work in a fast-paced environment
• Access to a computer
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated leadership
• Organizational ability to balance and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
• Strong sense of responsibility
• Proven record of following through on assigned tasks
• Positive role model
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
• Sound judgment/decision-making and ability to remain calm in crisis situations
• Fluency in French/Spanish a plus
Contact email: [email protected]
Resume and Cover Letter
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job