Teaching & Project Internship in Palestine
Tomorrow's Youth Organization
About the organization
Tomorrow's Youth Organization (TYO) aims to enable children, youth, and parents in disadvantaged areas of the Middle East to realize their potential as healthy, active and responsible family and community members. From our flagship center in Nablus, Palestine, TYO offers psychosocial-based, educational, vocational, entrepreneurship and mental health programs supporting children, youth, women and parents.
TYO’s International Internship Program offers students, recent graduates, and young professionals a chance to develop their professional and intercultural skills by gaining work experience in a non-profit organization in the Middle East. Interns work full-time for a period of three months in cooperation with TYO local and international staff.
● You will facilitate daily non-formal education classes for children, youth, and/or women.
● You will focus roughly half your time on preparing & teaching experientially-based, creative English courses for our primary school-aged children (i.e. Grade 1 – 6) that support holistic, psychosocial-based learning.
● You will work on additional projects in other programs depending on TYO’s needs and your skills, passion and experience! This work schedule will also be set prior to your internship in coordination with the International Internship Coordinator. This may include programs for women, adolescents, entrepreneurs, young athletes, or our 4-5-year-olds (teaching experience and skills required). Please notify us in your application if you have experience/training in early childhood education for 4-5-year-olds, we are specifically searching for experienced candidates in this area.
● Depending on your experience, skills, and interests, you may also contribute in areas like media & communications, business development, and the creative arts (e.g. music, drama/theatre, art & craft).
● You will receive support from a translator (as needed) who will assist you in communicating with your volunteer team and students. You will contribute to weekly monitoring and evaluation reports.
● You will write blog posts during your internship for TYO’s website and social media.
● You have some teaching experience and training in either a formal or non-formal setting as a teacher, summer camp counselor, coach, intern, tutor, etc.
● You are a fluent English speaker. You are pursuing or received undergraduate or graduate studies in education, psychology/social work, international/community development, communications, or related fields.
● You have a love for learning and teaching. You will have both the empathy to understand the challenges your students face and the dedication to create a structured and creative learning environment.
● You have strong oral and written communication skills. Experience in monitoring, evaluation and reporting is a big advantage.
● You have maturity, flexibility, initiative, perseverance and a good sense of humor given the challenging nature of daily life in Palestine. You also have experience working in linguistically and culturally diverse settings.
● You have a commitment to TYO's non-political, non-religious approach and respect the cultural norms of the organization and community.
● BONUS: Experience in sports, music, drama, and art, and Arabic language.
We offer an unpaid internship for 12 weeks during the spring session (January-April 2020). Selected interns will receive roundtrip ground transportation to the airport, housing & groceries covered at TYO's expansive center, two weekend trips in the West Bank and/or Jerusalem, and a local SIM card with credit for local texts and calls.
Contact email: [email protected]
Send us your resume and a cover letter, but remember, we want to know the real you, so don’t just summarize your resume points. Let us know why you want to intern with us, what motivates you, and why you love education and working with kids & communities.
Send via email with the subject line: (Teaching/Project Internship - Spring Session 2020) to [email protected]
*Applicants without formal or non-formal education experience will not be considered for this role.*
The application deadline is Saturday December 14th 2019, however applications will be assessed on a rolling basis until positions have been filled so please apply ASAP. TYO reserves the right to fill positions before the application closing date. We can’t wait to meet you!
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job