Teacher of English & Language Arts
Vista Grande High School
About the organization
Vista Grande High School is a place where students experience a transformative, holistic education focused on developing critical and creative thinking. We have a long history (over 15 years!) of building deep connections with our students, their families, and the Taos community. Vista Grande is a small school, built around the traditional wisdom and culture of our local elders, whose vibrant culture serves as the foundation for learning.
We strive to ensure that all identities are affirmed, welcomed, and provided an environment that allows them to thrive. And through close partnerships with Taos Pueblo, the Green Schools Network, the New Mexico Public Education Department, and many others, we are building a student body that is engaging in in the world around them.
• Teach 4 PBL curricular units that focus on the 4Ps: Place, phenomenon, problem, project
• Students participate in authentic investigations and problem-solving that approximates adult literacy and includes original research as well as collection, analysis, and representation of their own thinking
• Primary and secondary source materials replace textbooks
• Curriculum explores the history and evolution of scientific thinking and innovation
• Curriculum teaches ELA through connections to the content in science, math, and history courses.
• Students articulate theories, arguments, claims and understandings through scientific discourse and writing tasks
• Use protocols and instructional strategies that lead to generalization and transfer of concepts and procedures
• Use of diagrams, tables, visual models, and timelines to represent content
• Students represent and reflect on thinking
• Students must evaluate multiple perspectives in order to take and defend conditions and consider alternative views
• Use the technology tools for literacy tasks with accuracy and care
• Teach comprehension strategies to understand and analyze complex text
• Teach formal style and objective tone for literary analysis, expository, and persuasive writing
• Build knowledge by using multiple forms of documents, texts, maps, and media
• Celebrate and display student work throughout the school
• Reward curiosity, creativity, and thoughtful questioning
• Use multiple methods of assessment
Must hold a bachelor’s degree, complete a New Mexico teacher preparation program, and pass the required content and subject area examinations. Those who have a bachelor’s degree but have not completed a teacher preparation program may be eligible for alternative teacher certification in New Mexico.
Please contact us directly if you have further questions regarding your eligibility.
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job