Tanzania Program Specialist
Management and Engineering Technologies International Inc.
About the organization
Management and Engineering Technologies International, Inc. (METI) works in support of the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) Office of International Programs by hiring staff to work on international natural resource projects. The USFS Office of International Programs promotes sustainable natural resource management and biodiversity conservation internationally. By linking the skills of the field-based staff of the USFS with partners overseas, the agency can address the world’s most critical forestry issues and concerns. The USFS regularly engages the agency's wide range of expertise in over 90 countries, for programs on sustainable forest management, climate change, combatting illegal logging, fire management, and other topics.
In collaboration with the USFS International Programs (IP) office in Washington, DC, the USFS Tanzania Program Specialist would help manage the field design, implementation, and coordination of activities with USAID/Tanzania and local partners.
Based in Tanzania, the specialist would report to the US Forest Service East Africa Regional Coordinator and would plan, direct, and coordinate program activities and, as appropriate, travel to field sites. The specialist would work with colleagues from USFS, USAID/TZ, and partner institutions (e.g., governmental and non-governmental institutions, local communities, academia, development partners, and relevant development partner-supported projects) on a continuous basis.
Responsibilities of the Specialist include, but are not limited to:
• Collaborate with colleagues from USFS, USAID/TZ, Government of Tanzania, local authorities, non-governmental organizations, private sector, civil society organizations, academia, and community partner organizations on design and implementation of core project activities;
• Provide reporting and program implementation information on a regular basis to USFS;
• Lead technical activities such as assessments, trainings, oversight, field trials, as required;
• Liaise closely with USFS technical teams and advisors – remotely via email, mobile communications applications, and other web-based platforms – on key technical activities and trainings;
• Degree in forestry, conservation biology, ecology, geography, or related discipline, or equivalent professional experience in natural resource management;
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills; capable of executing complex tasks with minimal supervision over an extended timeline;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
• Project administration and financial management skills, and associated attention to detail;
• Experience working in developing countries, preferably within sub-Saharan Africa;
• Ability to work in a dynamic environment with in-country and U.S. government agencies, international donors, NGOs, community groups, and other stakeholders;
• Experience working with key government partners in the target countries strongly preferred;
• Excellent writing and presentation skills;
• Willingness to work out-of-doors in potentially arduous conditions for prolonged periods of time and in areas with intermittent power supply and internet connectivity;
• English and Swahili fluency required.
Contact email: [email protected]
CV and letter of interest required
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job