Walking Mountains Science Center
About the organization
Founded in 1998, Walking Mountains Science Center’s mission is to awaken a sense of wonder and inspire environmental stewardship and sustainability through natural science education. As part of a dynamic organization, you are part of a team of like-minded, spirited colleagues who are passionate about the mission of Walking Mountains and the impact it’s making in the community.
Sustainability Interns gain new skills in environmental sustainability while providing education and outreach in the Eagle Valley community. Interns will learn hands-on skills in fostering sustainable behaviors while also gaining valuable experience in how mountain communities, governments, and businesses are taking action and monitoring their environmental impacts.
The experiential learning focuses heavily on “Zero Waste,” recycling, and waste diversion. Interns staff zero waste events throughout the summer and provide zero waste education and outreach for the community. Concurrently, interns have the opportunity to pursue projects within the Walking Mountains Sustainability & Stewardship Program Department in the following programs:
• Actively Green Sustainable Business Certification
• Mountain IDEAL Sustainable Destination Certification
• Energy Smart
• Climate Action Collaborative
• Sustainable Film Series
This internship has an additional focus on Professional Development, provided through individual sustainability research projects, field trips, training in sustainable tourism and management systems, and project work with partner organizations. Interns also have the opportunity to learn about other programs within Walking Mountains Science Center.
For more information about Walking Mountains Science Center please visit www.walkingmountains.org.
Duration of Position: 40 hours/week starting May 26, 2020 and ending October 5, 2020
• Desire to educate others on sustainability initiatives while expanding personal knowledge of current sustainability trends
• Enthusiasm for working hands-on with environmental sustainability efforts including handling compost, waste, and recyclables
• Comfortable interacting publicly with a variety of people in various settings
• Minimum of two years completed education, preferably towards a degree related to sustainability
• Positive, self-motivated, organized, creative, and professional individual who can work independently and as part of a team of approximately 7 people
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Work flexible hours (including evenings and weekends)
• Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions, and lift up to 50 pounds
• A valid driver’s license and transportation
Must be able to perform the job requirements satisfactorily, as they generally represent the knowledge, skill and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job requirements.
• Education and/or training in a specific sustainability subject
• Spanish language skills (verbal and/or written)
$300 weekly stipend + housing
Contact email: [email protected]
Position open until filled, interviews occur on a rolling basis.
Please upload a current resume, cover letter, Walking Mountain Application Form, including 3 professional references, and complete the form on the application link.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job