Summer Spanish Instructor Abroad
About the organization
Over the past twenty five years, Broadreach has taken more than 17,000 students on experiential education programs to over 40 countries. With programs for middle school, high school and college students, Broadreach courses span the globe exploring extraordinary destinations and fascinating topics through hands-on instruction with the ocean as the classroom.
Spanish Instructors Wanted to Teach Summer Courses in Central & South America and Spain!
Critical to our success is our team of knowledgeable program leaders who inspire students, foster personal growth and cultivate leadership development. Broadreach instructors prioritize safety and risk management while also serving as mentors and friends to their students. They are engaging, energetic, and fun role models who enjoy building meaningful relationships with students.
Leading a Broadreach program is a fulfilling, exciting, and demanding position. Spanish Instructors teach a college level language course that focuses on Spanish language development and increasing awareness of social, environmental and cultural issues in the communities we visit. Our programs combine classroom learning, practical application of skills, homestays, cultural activities, and service learning activities. Instructors participate in adventure activities with students from rafting to surfing to hiking and more. Programs can be mentally and physically challenging for students and instructors which makes maintaining a positive attitude essential.
Programs are limited to 12 students and led by two instructors to manage everything from delivering course content to leading onshore activities and more. In addition to teaching the curriculum, Spanish Instructors work with their co-leader to supervise students 24/7, facilitate group dynamics, lead games and community service activities, and other program tasks. Flexibility, teamwork, the ability to multi-task, and provide a fun, positive and cohesive community are all important requirements.
- Master degree or PhD in Spanish language or related field.
- Experience teaching Spanish at the high school or college level strongly preferred.
- Experience leading and coordinating community service projects preferred.
- Previous experience facilitating a group and understanding group dynamic concepts.
- Passionate about mentoring and motivating students and fostering cultural learning.
- Good physical health and stamina to actively participate and encourage students throughout program duration.
- Demonstrated success working on diverse teams with a collaborative mindset.
- Great communication skills. We work with a variety of stakeholders in diverse locations and seek someone with a professional demeanor to serve as Broadreach ambassadors to our international partners throughout the world.
- Knowledge of host country and cultural norms or a willingness to learn and passion to share this information with students.
- Able to attend staff training in Raleigh, North Carolina in early June.
- International travel experience throughout Latin America and program leading experience preferred.
- Experience or comfort with the adventure activities included on the program such as hiking, sea kayaking, snorkeling, and other outdoor activities.
- Some programs require a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive a manual car.
- Open availability from early June to early August strongly preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job