Summer Instructor - Yosemite, Sequoia, or Tahoe
Adventure Risk Challenge
About the organization
Adventure Risk Challenge (ARC) is a youth development nonprofit in Central and Northern California. Our mission is to empower underserved youth through integrated leadership, literacy, and wilderness experiences. We integrate academics (English literacy, writing, public speaking, and environmental science) with outdoor adventure. Originally based on a New York City Outward Bound leadership and literacy program, ARC engages English Language Learner and under-represented high school youth in rural California communities.
ARC is hiring seasonal instructors at each of its three program sites – Yosemite National Park, Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Parks, and Lake Tahoe. The summer courses intersperse wilderness components (multiple extended backpacking trips and other short expeditions including rock climbing and rafting) with basecamp components. The basecamps are held at University of California field stations in Yosemite, Sequoia-Kings Canyon, and Lake Tahoe. The courses include daily physical fitness, English and environmental science classes, group reading and public speaking, and leadership classes. Work for all instructors will begin in late May 2021.
• Responsible for logistics for expeditions and basecamps, including leading on- and off-trail backpacking, gear and food organization, daily schedules, meal preparation, transportation, etc.
• Work in a highly collaborative environment with other ARC staff
• Create a safe, open, and inclusive culture for students and staff
• Responsible for teaching one academic subject area AND backcountry outdoor living skills and supporting other academic subject areas
• Have a thorough knowledge of ARC curriculum, how pieces fit together, and overall goals
• Manage student safety in frontcountry and backcountry course environments
• Ensure students are punctual for all academic and wilderness course components
• Responsible for driving students in SUVs between course areas
This is a very rigorous summer course and requires a high level of professionalism, organizational skill, and dedication. ARC will give preference to candidates with experience leading backpacking trips for youth, but all interested candidates are encouraged to apply, as we may have openings for assistant instructors, instructors, and lead instructors.
Preferred qualifications include:
• Current WFR and CPR
• Experience leading or co-leading groups of youth backpacking in the wilderness
• Experience teaching (in a traditional or non-traditional setting)
• Experience working in a dynamic and demanding work environment
Contact email: [email protected]
Please email your resume, cover letter, and names and contact information for three references, including your most recent employer, to Mel Hoffman at [email protected] by December 4, 2020. For more information about our programs, please visit our website www.adventureriskchallenge.org.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job