Summer Camp Counselor
Girl Scouts Nation's Capital
About the organization
Camp May Flather offers girls in grades 4-11 the opportunity to experience outdoor adventure and discover a new sense of self-confidence. Located a 3-hour drive southwest of Washington, DC, in the scenic George Washington National Forest in Mount Solon, VA, May Flather has been operating as a sleepaway camp since 1930!
While at May Flather, campers choose from a ton of amazing activities, including hiking, backpacking, climbing a natural wall or man-made tower, target sports, weaving on antique looms, and swimming in the pool. May Flather is owned and operated by Girl Scouts Nation’s Capital, the largest Girl Scout council in the country. This summer, following our enhanced health and safety guidelines, girls will enjoy both new and old camp traditions such as campfires, wish sticks, theme days, and celebrating 110 years of girl scouting!
Camp Staff or Superhero?
Take a moment to imagine making the difference in the life of a child. Empower girls to make decisions, become independent, and be proud of who they are. That’s what we do each summer at sleep-away camp! If you’re passionate about youth development, enjoy the outdoors, and believe in the power of every G.I.R.L. (Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-taker, Leader)™ to change the world, then Girl Scouts Nation’s Capital sleep-away camps may be for you!
Unit Counselors - Assists the Unit Leader with planning and implementation of activities. Responsible for the direct daily supervision of girls in the living unit and program areas.Participates alongs sides campers in activities such as swimming, climbing, hiking, and target sports. Salaries start at $350.
Lifeguards - Assists with the implementation of the aquatic program at the pool as a lifeguard. Leads canoeing trips at nearby lakes. Assists with unit programming in the evening when pool is closed. Training is provided, but candidates should be comfortable in the water and able to pass the lifeguarding course pre requisites. Salaries start at $405.
Kitchen Assistants - Assist the Kitchen Manager and Cook(s) with food preparation and service. Cleans food preparation areas and equipment. Salaries start at $350.
Is this you?
- Passionate about girl leadership
- Excellent with girls, ages 10-17, and equally skilled at working with adults of all ages
- Sensitive to people of other cultures and all abilities
- Love being outdoors and willing to work outdoors in the heat, humidity, and rain
- Prepared to live on-site during employment in rustic cabin accommodations (no electricity, internet, or flushing toilets)
- Aren’t bothered by dirt, bugs, or sunscreen Looking for a summer job
Some of the Perks
- Room, board, and laundry facilities provided
- Paid pre-camp training and professional development
- Free certification in CPR/First Aid and other activities dependent on position (lifeguarding, archery, etc.)
- Networking opportunities and a chance to work with staff from different areas of the US College credit/internship (We'll work with you to fulfill requirements.)
- Ample time off
- Skill development in leadership, communication, problem-solving, behavior management, creativity, and more
- A summer outdoors in the woods without screens!
- Memories and friendships to last a lifetime
- The opportunity to create a positive impact on the youth of today
Starting at $350 per week
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job