Street Outreach Worker (Temporary)
About the organization
ABOUT YOUTHCARE: YouthCare builds confidence and self-sufficiency for homeless youth ages 12-24 by providing a continuum of care that includes homelessness prevention, street outreach, basic services, emergency shelter, housing, counseling, education, and employment training. Founded in 1974 as a three-bed emergency shelter program, our continuum now operates across nine locations and a variety of community-based partnerships. Several of our programs are national models, and we are a leader locally and across the country in serving runaway and homeless youth, as well as young people who have experienced sexual exploitation.
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the Street Outreach Supervisor, the Street Outreach Worker engages youth ages 12-24 living on the streets or in unauthorized encampments, and provides them basic needs, education, referrals, and safety planning. This position will regularly visit unauthorized encampments with a partner to conduct street outreach, provide supports, collect data, and report on outcomes.
- Engage youth living on the streets or in unauthorized encampments in areas assigned by the Street Outreach Supervisor
- Build trust and rapport with homeless youth on the street, and encourage youth movement from outside to emergency services, case management, education, and employment programming
- Identify the barriers that are preventing youth from accessing shelter, and help them develop safety plans.
- Conduct daily street outreach on foot in various weather conditions, while carrying up to 40lbs
- Provide de-escalation, crisis intervention, and basic counseling services
- Develop relationships and collaborate with other community agencies to facilitate contacts and services for youth
- Refer youth to appropriate and necessary services
- Complete necessary paperwork and data collection
- Participate in regular supervision, clinical consultations, weekly staff meetings, as well as community-based outreach meetings
- Two or more years of successful work with homeless youth, sexually exploited youth, or high-risk youth populations
- Demonstrated ability to build trust and rapport with homeless youth and youth who have experienced sexual exploitation or are at risk
- Familiar and comfortable with engaging youth on the streets and utilizing a harm reduction approach in response to sexual activity, drug use, and other potentially risky behaviors
- Ability to work as a member of the team that encourages personal and professional growth
- High School Diploma, or GED
- Experience and credentials must comply with program contract requirements including but not limited to DSHS background check and must be at least 21 years of age
- Able to drive YouthCare vehicles, possess a valid Washington State Driver’s License, successfully pass required Defensive Driving Course, and meet driving criteria established by the agency and its insurance carrier
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Social work, or related field, or three years of successful experience with youth in a crisis or outreach setting
- One year of experience conducting street outreach or related experience
- Fluency in Spanish or highly proficient level of Spanish-speaking ability
- Experience working with families in crisis
$19.49 per hour
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job